Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I making the right decision? I feel sick like I am making a mistake. :(

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:00 PM
  • 15 Replies

My children go to school about 25-30 min currently as they were already enrolled in a school/daycare when we moved. I felt it was best for my oldest to complete the Pre-K school year where she was and if I have to drive there for one I might as well keep them all there.

Now that we have moved we are in a different school zone however, so she will attend Kindergarten at school on this side of town.  I and my SO also work on this side of town (both only about 10 miles away from the house). 

I have been driving the 25-30 minutes (from the house) every morning to drop them off, then driving about 30-35 or so minutes per day to work, turning around at 5 pm and driving back to the daycare and then home.  (Before the bashing begins I make enough to work and pay bills and such, I am not just working to pay bills and all.... and I am NOT asking whether or not my children should go to school/daycare.)

The school my daughter will attend is about 10 miles South of the house and the current daycare/Pre-k (which my youngest daughter will start this upcoming school year) is 25-30 minutes North of the house.  That would total about a drive averaging 1 1/2 hours per morning, then again at night if they continued in the places they are enrolled now. 

I would totally do this if I saw it could feasably happen.  BUT there are many days when my SO doesn't get off work at his scheduled time and therefore he would not be able to pick up any of the children (he typically doesn't now due to his work schedule and he goes into work at 6:30 am so he can't drop off either).  That would really make it next to impossible for me to get to each school and pick up children before they close as well as in the mornings in time for school to start.

So..... (sorry about the rambling) I have decided I am most likely going to change the younger two to a daycare that is right by the oldest daughter's school.  This will make everything much easier and put all of us commuting to one side of town.

The big kicker is that my youngest daughter is SOOOO excited about going to the class her sister went to for Pre-K.  she talks about it all the time and the teacher is excited to have her. :(  I feel torn inside because I just KNOW I am going to disappoint her so deeply.  *Sob* 

Am I being selfish? Am I making the right choice?  I know this may sound like a stupid question to a lot of people, but I seriously am feeling like I could be making the wrong choice.

:(

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Memigen
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM

BUMP!

saucykitty22
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:03 PM

Maybe if u explain that she will getting a Brand new class of her own for prek she will too excited to even worry about the old one.

stellarmom1
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM
Sorry but it sounds like a no brainer to me! I think you aremaking the right decision! That is a lot of driving and it sounds stressful for everyone! You daughter may be disappointed but it's for the best. Try to find something positive and exciting about her new Daycare that will make her happy and excited to go! Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deenakate
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

My goodness.. I would so make this decision, kids adapt, it would make life so much simpler. Why spend so much time in the car driving around when you could be using it to spend time with the kids...

dk

babybump87
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM
Mine aren't in school yet so I'm not sure, but I don't think it's selfish to not want to drive around for an extra 2-3 hours everyday, that's a lot of gas, time, and with you working, you need to think about your sanity too, I honestly don't remember pre-k so as long as the new place is good, I wouldn't worry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM

You need to make the decision that is right for your whole family.  And mostly for the adults.  You guys will be doing the running around.  She will adapt to a new school.

I have a friend that let's her kid make all the decisions like this, and then they run ragged doing what he wants.  He is a complete brat!

Cara5
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Play up getting to go to big sisters kindergarten, break it to her at the end of the school year and then play up the excitement of the NEW SCHOOL all summer.  By the time next term rolls around she wont even remember who her old teacher was.  

IMAMOMx4
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM

For more family time, they should be closer to home.  Why drive all that?  She will be disappointed, but  she will accept the new place.

FL2AK
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM
Everyone needs to be closer to home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jodyann2
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM
make life easier on you all. your dd will get over it. I had to do the same thing. plus, you will be able to spend more time with your kids instead of driving around. good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)