Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whats the point of homework?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM
  • 29 Replies

What is your take on the homework situation?  What is the point of giving LITTLE kids homework--kindergarten, first, second graders? 

Do you think homework should be something parents have to help with or should it be something the kids can MOSTLY accomplish on their own? 

How much is too much?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Purtyred
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM

My son has TOO much. He's in High School though.

Kaelaasmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM
My daughter gets one or two sheets a night, four nights a week. She does it herself and then we check it over together. She is in 2nd grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livin.ontheedge

My kindergartner has about 30-45 minutes of homework a night. I find it very effective. I actually pulled him from the school in our district because they didn't give homework...ever...I'm not sure how a child that young is suppose to learn if they aren't getting help at home and the parents don't know what's going on at school. Parents should be involved in helping their kids with homework every single night, no matter what age. Kids need to really get ahead these days and they can't do that without parental involvement in their education.

FL2AK
I want my kids to have homework so we can be more involved with her studies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2_two
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

My DD didn't start getting homework til 1st grade and I help her with it. I won;t GIVE her the answers I will help her figure out how to find the answer on her own.

FricknFrack
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

The homework my kids receive tends to be work that will reinforce what they are learning in school.  Some days they have a lot other days nothing at all varies.  They do have to read daily my 1st grader 20 minutes a night my 4th grader 30-40 minutes a night.  My high schooler is taking AP classes his homework varies. 

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Homework is to embed what they learned during the day.  Little kids need reinforcement of the daily lessons, too.  It is also a good way for the parents to know if there is something the child is struggling with.  My kids can do most of it on their own.  They occasionally need help.

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I wish our schools would give MORE homework. I supplement the kids' public education with my own homeschooling. 

My first grader comes home with reading every night and I supplement a math worksheet and some spelling and vocabulary too.

My third grader comes home with 1 sheet of spelling and 1/4 sheet of math. I give him more math, some social studies/geography and vocabulary. Plus he reads before bed.

We also all do a science experiment a few times a week too.

JenieceMojica
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM

my kids dont have homework but we homeschool... but i do give them school work to work on by alone

deenakate
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I dont have an issue with homework. Its my responsibility to help my children learn, at home its a one on one learning environment vs a one to 25+ at school.. I also like knowing what my kids are doing in school...

I do think that eventually kids will be able to do it on their own as they get older with minimal help.

dk

I think it also teaches accountability and responsibility

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)