Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deadly Egyptian cobra missing from Bronx Zoo

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:46 PM
  • 24 Replies

Deadly Egyptian cobra missing from Bronx Zoo

By Deborah Brunswick, CNN
March 28, 2011 4:03 p.m. EDT
Click to play

New York (CNN) -- A venomous Egyptian cobra went missing from New York's Bronx Zoo, prompting the closure of the zoo's reptile house until further notice.

Staff was alerted Saturday that the adolescent Egyptian cobra was missing from an off-exhibit enclosure, according to a statement from the zoo. Staff members closed and secured the reptile house.

Zoo officials said they are confident the 20-inch-long snake is contained in a nonpublic, isolated area of the building.

"Based on our knowledge of the natural history and behavior of snakes, we know they seek closed-in spaces and are not comfortable in open areas," the zoo statement said.

The Egyptian cobra is most commonly found in North Africa. Its venom is so deadly that it can kill a full-grown elephant in three hours -- or a person in about 15 minutes, according to wildlife experts. The venom destroys nerve tissue and causes paralysis and death due to respiratory failure.

Scholars believe the Egyptian cobra was known in ancient times as the asp. Legend has it that Cleopatra, the ancient Egyptian queen, used an asp to commit suicide.

Photobucket

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamombygrace
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I read this earlier on Foxnews. I am wondering...How can they lose something so deadly?

mamas2angels
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM
I know its crazy. I'm kinda scared I live pretty close to the bron zoo!
C8linVilla
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Cool! Last i checked they HAD to be devenomized in order to keep them(i work at a reptile zoo) They passed this law i think in 2008??

Those snakes are VERY fast and can strike at crazy speeds. They are beautiful animals and awsome to watch but wouldnt wanna meet it! hope they get it before it gets out of the zoo and into someones house

mommysangelface
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM

i used to go to the bronx zoo when i lived in NY.  I cant stand snakes in general, but man i would  be freaking out if i was still there

kjbennett26
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM

That sounds like a huge disaster waiting to happen!

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Snakes give me the heebie geebies.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

jmart18255
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM

i find this extremely interest because we went on a field trip last there last year with my sons class and i have a picture of this snake and was considering making missing posters of it lol. hopefully they find it alive and well and it doesnt bite anyone or anything before they find it.

meagan0716
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Oh my that's crazy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyjo85
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:05 PM

I saw this on the news this morning.  Gave me the heebie-jeebies!  How could they "lose" a fucking cobra!!!

JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:05 PM
I hate snakes!
They said 20 feet on the radio lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)