Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a computer Question, if anyone can help me for a minute.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:15 PM
  • 12 Replies

I bought the windows live One Care.

All in one Security and Performance Service a few months ago. And I could never get it to install. Do I have to turn off my firewall to allow it to upload?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

This is what I have, bought it and couldn't get it installed.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

What do the instructions say....don't they say one way or another???

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I followed the instructions. But I still had issues with it. Let me look back through them one more time.

twisted_charlie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Are you sure it's compatible with your operating system?

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

How to Install Windows Live OneCare

Windows Live OneCare is a program manufactured by Microsoft. This program works as security on your computer to prevent viruses and spyware. If you want to test Windows Live OneCare before you purchase it, it is available to install as a trial.

Difficulty:

Easy

Instructions

things you'll need:

• Computer with Windows Internet

Uninstall any anti-virus or firewall programs on your computer.

Log in as administrator on your computer. If you are not sure whether you have this privilege, verify it by clicking the "Start" button in Windows. Choose "Control Panel." Double-click "User Accounts." Next to "User Name," "Administrator" should be listed.

Begin your install. For a trial version, log onto Windows Live OneCare (see Resources). Click the link and the install will begin. Choose "Run" to allow the program to run, or click "Save" to save the file on your hard drive.

Log onto Windows Live OneCare to purchase the software. Click the "Buy Today" button. You will be instructed to create a Windows Live ID. Once you have created this ID, click "Next." If you already have a Windows Live ID, click "Sign In" and sign in using your ID.

Enter your credit card information. You will be given an activation code to enter after you install the program.

Click the link to install Windows Live OneCare. Choose "Run" to allow the program to run, or click "Save" to save the file on your hard drive. Allow the install to complete and restart your computer.

Open the Windows Live OneCare program, and click the "Activate" button. Enter your Windows Live ID and follow the directions to activate the program.

Tips & Warnings

• Do not uninstall other anti-virus programs unless you are positive that you will install Windows Live OneCare.

Read more: How to Install Windows Live OneCare | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4809640_install-windows-live-onecare.html#ixzz1HwaEFtY3
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I kept getting the error: Remove windows defender? And some #'s would come up with that message.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM

How to troubleshoot Windows Live OneCare installation issues

Windows Live OneCare is no longer available for sale

Existing subscribers will continue to be supported throughout the term of their subscriptions. Existing subscribers can reinstall by following the steps to download a trial , and can still add a PC to their existing OneCare circle .

Learn more about end of sale for OneCare .

On September 29th 2009, Microsoft introduced Microsoft Security Essentials, a FREE consumer anti-malware solution for Genuine Windows based PCs.

Learn more about Microsoft Security Essentials  or download from Microsoft directly at:http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/default.aspx 

On This Page

INTRODUCTION

This article describes how to troubleshoot Microsoft Windows Live OneCare installation issues.

MORE INFORMATION

Most Windows Live OneCare installation issues occur when one or more of the Windows Live OneCare components are not installed correctly on the computer. To troubleshoot these installation issues, use one or more of the methods that are listed in this article.

Method 1: Remove third-party antivirus programs and firewall programs

To remove third-party antivirus programs and firewall programs, follow these steps:

Important These steps may increase your security risk. These steps may also make the computer or the network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We recommend the process that this article describes to enable programs to operate as they are designed to or to implement specific program capabilities. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this process in your particular environment. If you decide to implement this process, take any appropriate additional steps to help protect the system. We recommend that you use this process only if you really require this process.
  1. Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
  2. Under Currently installed programs, locate any third-party antivirus programs or firewall programs.
  3. Click the program, and then click Remove.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Reinstall Windows Live OneCare.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the MSXML subsystem

To uninstall the MSXML subsystem, follow these steps:
  2. Under Currently installed programs, locate the MSXML Parser.
  3. Click the program, and then click Remove.
  4. Restart the computer.
To install the MSXML subsystem, follow these steps:
  1. Download and install MSXML 4.0 SP2. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&DisplayLang=en 
    Note this is a complete replacement of MSXML 4.0 and MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
  2. Download and install the following MSXML update:
    Microsoft XML Parser 3.0 Service Pack 5. For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note Make sure that you note any error messages that you receive during the installation.
  3. Restart the computer.
  4. Reinstall Windows Live OneCare.

Method 3: Remove and reinstall the .NET Framework 2.0

To remove and reinstall the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, follow these steps:
  2. Under Currently installed programs, locate one or both of the following items:
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Beta
  3. If you have one or both of the .NET Framework 2.0 items, click each item, and then clickRemove.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
  6. Reinstall Windows Live OneCare.

Method 4: Stop and start the Windows Installer service

To stop and start the Microsoft Windows Installer service, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
  2. In the right pane, locate and then click Windows Installer.
  3. Right-click Windows Installer, and then click Properties.
  4. Under Service status, click Start if the service is not started. If the service is currently running, click Stop, and then click Start.
  5. Click OK to close the Windows Installer Properties dialog box.
  6. In the Services dialog box, click Exit on the File menu.
  7. Reinstall Windows Live OneCare.

Method 5: Start Microsoft Windows XP in Selective Startup mode

To start Microsoft Windows XP in Selective Startup mode, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
  2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
  3. Click the Services tab.
  4. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box under the list of services, and then click to clear all the check boxes for the services that remain in the list.
  5. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart the computer.
  6. Reinstall Windows Live OneCare.

Note If you still experience installation issues with Windows Live OneCare, a third-party program or a service may be causing a conflict with the Windows Live OneCare installation process.
  7. Reset Windows XP to start in Normal mode. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    2. On the General tab, click the following option:
      Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services
    3. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart the computer.
Note This is a "FAST PUBLISH" article created directly from within the Microsoft support organization. The information contained herein is provided as-is in response to emerging issues. As a result of the speed in making it available, the materials may include typographical errors and may be revised at any time without notice. See Terms of Use  for other considerations.
Keywords: 
KBRetire kbmsnpartnerportal kbexpertisebeginner kbhowto kbinfo KB910656
Retired KB ArticleRetired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.

Provide feedback on this information
Did this information solve your problem?
Yes
No
I don't know
Was this information relevant?
Yes
No
What can we do to improve this information?
To protect your privacy, do not include contact information in your feedback.

Get Help Now

Contact a support professional by E-mail, Online, or Phone
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Yes, it says for windows vista. It's the same thing I had on here when we bought the computer. I was just trying to update it. Since the trial issue ran out. I have a firewall on and I think that is my issue?

Quoting twisted_charlie:

Are you sure it's compatible with your operating system?

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Install the latest Windows Live OneCare definition updates

Latest antivirus definition version: 1.101.319.0  |  Released: Mar 28, 2011 09:30 PM UTC 

Instructions for a 32-bit system  |  Instructions for a 64-bit system

Install the latest Windows Live OneCare definition updates for computers running x86-based versions of Windows

For more information please review the Knowledge Base Article: How to manually download the latest definition updates for Windows Live OneCare.

If you encounter problems while trying to install definition updates for Windows Live OneCare, you can download and install the latest Windows Live OneCare definition updates for computers running a 32-bit (x86-based) version of Windows.

Step 1: Save or run the file. 
After you download the latest definition updates, click Run to install the definition file immediately, or click Save to save it to your computer. If you click Save, remember the name of the folder where you save the file. 

Step 2: Install the definition update. 
To install the saved definition update file:

• If your computer is running Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Start, click Documents, and then locate the folder where you saved the definition file. Right-click Mpam-fe.exe, click Run as administrator, and then click Run. When you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation, and then wait while the definition files are installed.
  • If your computer is running any other Windows operating system, you must be logged on as an administrator to install the latest definition file. Browse to the folder where you saved the file, and then double-click Mpam-fe.exe to install the latest definition file.

Note: If you do not have an administrator account on the computer, ask an administrator to log on and install the definitions file for you.

For more information please review the Knowledge Base Article: How to manually download the latest definition updates for Windows Live OneCare.

Install the latest Windows Live OneCare definition updates for computers running x64-based versions of Windows

Download and install definition updates for Windows Live OneCare on computers running x64-based versions of Windows.

Note: You must be running an x64-based version of Windows to run an x64-based version of Windows Live OneCare. For more information, please visit theWindows Live OneCare website.

night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Thanks Sassy. I am a little scared to go messing around  with all these things. lol I might just have to wait and see if Luke can help me with it this weekend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)