Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this be offensive?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
My dh and I are having an us night on Friday. My sister is taking my 6 month old who ebfed except a few solids for the night. I am writing her out on how to deal with Bm defrosting, heating, giving etc. Would it be wrong to write out other things too? Like how and when to give medicine for teething (seems to be doing a lot of lately) and general care instructions? She watches my odd all the time over night but she's 4 and she did watch her when she was an infant when I went to work but never over night. She is a great aunt and loves my kids even though she doesn't have any of her own yet she is good with them. So is it a bad idea to leave instructions in writing or just give them verbally (besides the milk)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I would write it out .The at the bottom of page write something like   I know you know this BUT well YOu know I am a bit paranoid about my kids. Something to make it a little light so she knows you trust her but the info is there just in case.

jcsg
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Leaving written instructions is always a good idea.   Especially when it involves medicine and feedings. 

And have fun!

SamMichelle88
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Just ask which she's more comfortable with. Tell her you were thinking about writing it out just in case she has questions, so you guys can enjoy your whole night together & she won't have to wonder if she is doing everything the way you would like her to.

manda325
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM
Dont see what itll hurt. Not offensive imo, unless it's worded rudely or super duh! stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SP_Mama
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM

My DS was almost 3 when we left him with BIL & SIL overnight and I wrote out everything.  *L*  I don't think it's offensive at all. 

HippieMomma08
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Infants are all very different and need very specified care. When DD was little and we left her with family(not very often I had terrible separation anxiety) I would always write down her schedule.

How often she ate, how much she was eating in a feeding. How many diapers she usually went through. How much crying was out of the ordinary for her, what usually helped with teething pains ect... No one was ever offended by it. I always would present the list and then just be sure to say, "Obviously if she seems content and not fussy, then what ever you are doing is just fine. One night of a slightly deviated routine won't kill her. This is more to make you feel like you have a guide- should you feel like you need it."

So long as you present it in a way that is helpful, not like your giving orders I think it will be fine. Every one expects the mom of a new baby to be a little protective.

ccnstanczak
by Save Humanity! on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:33 PM

its always nice to have things written down, jic. That way if something comes up, she can refer to it and know shes handling it the way you would. Things like medicines and stuff should always be talked about as well as writing down. somethings are just common sence and dont need to get written down but if your baby has preference or a routine, jot it down. and you just say, hey sis, theres a few things about taking care of _____ so in case i forget to mention such and such, i just wrote it down. like the teething medicine. and other stuff, in case you need it. just be casual about it. She might do things a little different than you on somethings but thats ok, but if its important then yeah, totallyok to write it down. along with phone #s and where you will be in case of an emergency.

just a note. my mom and dad have copies of my dd's sscards and health insurance card  just in case something god forbid would happen and they need to take them in. i dont consider it to be overprotective.

littlemama810
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM

I always give out detailed instuctions when someone is going to watch my kids. No one's seemed offended by it and actually thanked me for it.

momma-flynn
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:53 PM
i don't see a problem with it. especially since it involves meds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)