Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh F***ing Well!!!! **edit**

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM
  • 47 Replies

So today our dog chased a mouse from some unknown location in our dining room to under our couch in the living room (where said mouse dissapeared into another uknown location). 

**BACK STORY**

Well, we are renting this house from "friends" who had problems when the previous tenants moved out.  The tenants before us complained that our "friends" never properly dealt with any of their complaints about the house and were seeking legal recourse. My "friend"  paid them their security deposit PLUS money the previous tenants claimed they were owed--"just to make it go away".

Due to all of the unnecessary drama, our landlords politely requested that we put any complaints to them in writing, or at the very least let them know AS SOON AS we had an issue or complaint, so as to avoid any confusion or have a repeat of what had just happened to them with the previous tenants.

**BACK STORY OVER**

Well, my husband text our landlord as soon as we saw the mouse to let him know.  His response (verbatim) was, "You live next door to a farm."

REALLY, dude??? THAT'S your response??? Because in ANY of the apartments myself or my husband has lived in, it has been a given that extermination is the landlord's responsibility. 

Is it wrong of me to expect him to do something about this? Or should we allow the mouse to chew the shit out of his original 1911 hardwood floors or wait until the structural integrity of the house is compromised and THEN expect him to do something?

AM I WRONG?

**Edit**

I refuse to live with a mouse in my home, so obviously my husband and I intend to take care of this issue.  My point in making this post was that after being specifically instructed to notify them of any and all issues, my landlord humorously dismissed a legitimate complaint.  (If he had called or texted my husband back and explained in an adult manner that extermination was not one of his landlord duties--which is not even stated in the lease, either way-- that would have been a more acceptable response than basically saying, "oh, effing well")

wedding planning

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
weeblette
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM
Ummm I own a home....if I had a mouse problem it would be my responsibility to deal with it....get some traps and some poison and deal with it
FL2AK
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM
It is a mouse. I you live near a farm it is understandable that you would have them. Just take care of it. I don't think a mouse is worthy of calling the landlord.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyFlood
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM

No, not wrong, but it's always a bad idea to mix friends and business.

KCallum1629
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM

We don't own this home.  We are not allowed to paint or make any changes to the house without consulting with our landlords.  Extermination is not our responsibility.  We intend to deal with it, I'm just saying that it's not our responsibility and for our landlord to respond by brushing us off after they specifically told us to let them know when we have an issue, was uncalled for.

Quoting weeblette:

Ummm I own a home....if I had a mouse problem it would be my responsibility to deal with it....get some traps and some poison and deal with it

wedding planning

NookBoookMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM
our landlords are lazy when it comes to extermination, they do 1 place every month so you could be waiting months before getting anything. when we moved in we didnt notice there were roaches and ants in the kitchen , landlords didnt send anyone out, we ended up paying orkin to come and spray, we pay out of pocket, you may hvae to do that,
kjfamily
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM
Get a cat .. A mouse is not reason to call a landlord... Now if there were rats or hundreds is mice fine but your in the country soo..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KCallum1629
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I completely agree about mixing friends with business.  I have done so many favors for this woman out of obligation due to the fact that we "live in her home".  DH and I have watched their children (for free), I have taken photographs for her (of her children for various milestones), We have sat with her baby in the hospital until 10pm (because neither she nor her husband could get there before then), and this woman basically treats me like crap (it's totally my fault for allowing it though)

Quoting MommyFlood:

No, not wrong, but it's always a bad idea to mix friends and business.

wedding planning

sara_3388
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I would expect him to do somethin about it.

ColeParkerMason
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

You're not wrong to want them to do something about it, but you're probably not going to get it. It was in our old lease at our old apartments that if we "keep units clean there won't be an infestation problem". We had ants and spiders everywhere and they refused.

That being said, your landlord has a point. If you live in the country in an old place, which I'm guessing by the 1911 floors, you're going to have mice. Your best bet is to go buy some d-con... or get a cat.

KCallum1629
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

your solution is to get another pet? :-P LOL (and btw, where there is one mouse, there are usually DOZENS)  And we're NOT actually in "the country", we just happen to live next door to a farm.

Quoting kjfamily:

Get a cat .. A mouse is not reason to call a landlord... Now if there were rats or hundreds is mice fine but your in the country soo..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)