Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Send a gift or attend the wedding?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM
  • 14 Replies

I can't afford to give a gift (money) AND attend an out-of-state wedding in April.

Here are my options:

1. Send a gift in time for the wedding and not attend.
  2. Attend the wedding in April and send a gift 2 weeks later in early May.

What is the proper thing to do?

BTW - They have been living together for many years and have 3 children. They are asking for money for a honeymoon in lieu of gifts.

Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopinforanother
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM

BUMP!

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM

i'd attend and give them an inexpensive gift. my friend did this for her wedding. they already had a household set up and just asked for money. people still brought gifts instead of money.

onethentwins
by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

You have a whole year to send a gift until you've committed a wedding faux pas. So you really can do both if you want to. Either way you should send a gift.

FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:02 PM
Give them a gift nd pass on attending
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hopinforanother
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:02 PM

A whole year? WOW!

Quoting onethentwins:

You have a whole year to send a gift until you've committed a wedding faux pas. So you really can do both if you want to. Either way you should send a gift.

hopinforanother
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Quoting FooLynRoo:

They are really good friends. I can't imagine missing their wedding...but I also can't imagine attending empty handed. It's so tough and I want to cry when I think about missing it.

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:05 PM

if it were me i'd rather have my friend be there. i wouldn't worry about what they brought. but that's just me =-) .

Quoting hopinforanother:

Quoting FooLynRoo:

They are really good friends. I can't imagine missing their wedding...but I also can't imagine attending empty handed. It's so tough and I want to cry when I think about missing it.

hotrodlassie
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM

My wedding is also in April and I would much rather my good friends attend than give me any gift at all. In fact, one of my BFFs called this week to tell me she could only do one or the other and would not be offended my by decision. I told her the gift of her company was much better than any gift I could receive.

JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Can you make her a gift? 

MommyFlood
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Is the bride having a bridal shower? If so, then don't need a gift AT the wedding.

It's tacky. Esp if they've been living together and have kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)