Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I tell your kid to knock it off!

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM
  • 8 Replies

I coach 5,6, and 7 yr old soccer. I have 13 kids and they didn't give me an assistant and the parents don't volunteer to help. Anyway, about half of them have never played before. It's not grouped according to skill, it's just grouped according to age. 

I have one particular little boy that acts up the WHOLE time. I remind him like 10 times in 45 minutes to leave the other kids alone, to stop knocking their balls away from them and shoving them, etc. Apparently to no avail. His parents never pull him off the field (my son's butt would be riding the sidelines if he acted like this). I understand that he is bored b/c he has more experience, but I have at least 5 kids that have never played before so I can't really give him something more challenging to do yet. 

What would you want me to do to/for your child?

baby

baby

baby

pregnancy calendar
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
theycallmemom4
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Talk to the parents. They may be standing back because they don't want to step on toes.

jcsg
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Since he has more experience and he's obviously bored, put him to work. 

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I'd have you remove him from the field until he could get his act together. It's your team, if they don't like it then they can step up and help out, or remove him from the team.

Forget-me-not
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM
I teach sewing and I'd have one meeting with the parents if nothing changed I'd ask them not to return.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy259
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM

My DH use to coach baseball and what he did was 1) an adult had to stay at all times 2) He had a contract with the player..coach and parent (they all had to sign) explaining the rules and what was expected of them and what would happen if they broke the rules...Like they would be asked to go sit on the sidelines, sick out a practise, sit out a game depending on exactly what they child did..

3xangel
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM
Yep

Quoting DanaG70:

I'd have you remove him from the field until he could get his act together. It's your team, if they don't like it then they can step up and help out, or remove him from the team.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nemiller
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

I'd remove him from the field myself if that were my child.  Assuming I didn't see that behavior for whatever reason, I'd want you to put him on the bench.  Have you had a talk with the kid's parents about it?

jjlwallace
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

can you get the kid who is acting up to be your assistant coach?  if he  is more expreienced and board giving him tasks might help...like the nig brother type of role.    idk  just a thought

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)