Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheapest way to buy a car (if you can).....

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

A car auction. We bought hubby's truck there last year (2003 F-150) for 4500. We just sold it for 4700. So we used it for a year then made 200 bucks, lol. Our car is a 2000 Chrysler 300 we bought back in '05 and paid 3000 for it. We could sale it now for almost that much. If you have enough, go to an auction. You can pay outright for a vehicle what you would pay for just the down payment at a car lot. Our truck booked for over 10 grand when we bought it for less than half that.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
supermommie1
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:20 PM

are you allowed to drive the cars at auctions?  

lv.42.dy
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM

yes but you never really know what kind of condition that car is in...

I bought a jeep once through an auction...it looked brand new on the inside and out. I even had a mechanic look it over...little by little the damn thing fell apart and the 7,000 I bought it for (cash) could have been used toward a brand new jeep instead of a crappy used one.

From now on I will only buy new.

livin.ontheedge
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Quoting supermommie1:

are you allowed to drive the cars at auctions?  

you can test drive them, yes

aarensmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM

i bought a car at an auction...a week after  got it it let me sit...got that fixed 3month later transmission dropped..it cost more to fix the transmission then the car cost me..eh never again.

livin.ontheedge
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Quoting lv.42.dy:

yes but you never really know what kind of condition that car is in...

I bought a jeep once through an auction...it looked brand new on the inside and out. I even had a mechanic look it over...little by little the damn thing fell apart and the 7,000 I bought it for (cash) could have been used toward a brand new jeep instead of a crappy used one.

From now on I will only buy new.

Here they have colored lights, like stop lights. Red light cars mean there is no warranty or guarantee, yellow means limited warranty, and green means the car is fully warranted and guaranteed. Actually a better system than used car lots. I've never had a new car and wouldn't put myself under that type of payment. If you have the money, go for it. I never have and now never would. Both vehicles I've bought (and several my dad has bought) have all turned out to be very good quality.

livin.ontheedge
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Quoting aarensmommy:

i bought a car at an auction...a week after  got it it let me sit...got that fixed 3month later transmission dropped..it cost more to fix the transmission then the car cost me..eh never again.

yes, and that can happen with any used car. My mom just went and got a used car at a lot last week, 2 days later the whole motor blew up. Used is used, no matter where you get it.

Kodysmommy928
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM
I refuse to own a car not under factory warranty and I never by new. We pay cash for our cars too.
3earthangels
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:37 PM
I do :)

My last 3 cars have been from auctions. First was a 2001 pontiac sunfire bought in 2002. Police repo, and darn good car.... too bad I wrecked it. Second was a 02 dodge van bought in 2004. Drove it til 2006 when I gave it to my sister. And my last one (current car) is a 01 impala I bought in 2006.
Didn't spend over $3k for any of them.... cheapest being my impala.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)