Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heartbroken. I don't have a relationship with my parents.

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM
  • 23 Replies

People always ask me if my parents are going to help if DH is still deployed when I have the baby...I just say "I don't have parents" because it's so complicated.

My mom died when I was 11 (I'm currently 27). She was hit by a drunk driver.

My dad was not in my life until my mom died. Long story short...he hates his sister and last year I accepted her friend request on FB. I love her. She's my aunt. She was in my life even when my mom was alive.

Anyway, my dad gave me an ultimatum. Stop talking to my aunt or he's gonna stop talking to me. So I said fine. Do what you are goinna do. I care about my aunt so I'm not removing her from my FB.

My husband's mom is mentally ill and can hardly take care of herself...let alone be involved our lives. His dad and stepmom keep in touch a little bit.

Anyway, I guess I just want to know that I'm not alone. Is there anyone else that doesn't really have parents? I'm 27...it's not like I need parents...but strangely...I feel like something is missing without them. I love to see parents that are actively involved with their adult children...but sometimes I get jealous.

I just feel heartbroken today.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I didn't have parents...until I met my husband. Then his parents became my parents.

Kodysmommy928
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM
My dad is in prison and my mother just got out but we do not have a relationship. My MIL is is my mom now.
mommasbabies77
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:37 PM
shrugs

I don't have parents either. I was hatched...that's what I tell people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeansandMash
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM

My father and I are very close, but I refuse to even say I have a mother. She is low and dirty and I want nothing to do with her ever.
I'd like to legally be able to say she isn't my mother one day. That would make me so very happy.

BeansandMash
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:39 PM

6 piece chicken nugget happy meal from McDonalds, that is what I've always said :)

Quoting mommasbabies77:

shrugs

I don't have parents either. I was hatched...that's what I tell people.

cbk_mom3
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:40 PM

My mom raised me by herself, even though my dad was around as much as he could be. But, due to my mom's health problems, it was really reversed. I've always been the parent,and her the child,basically. My dad is dead now, and it's just my mom,and I'm an only child. She lives with us,and I'm still having to parent her. So, I guess physically I had parents, but not really emotionally.

CABZS
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:42 PM

You aren't alone, but take comfort in the fact that you had a mom at least for a short while.

I do not have parents, I can finally say I gave up.

They were controlling, abusive (physically, mentally, emotionally & sexually) & they drink way to much!  My dad is what would be called a "functioning alcoholic."

I am not close to my in-laws (many reasons) however I am sitting down w/them this weekend (well at least MIL & SIL) & telling them why I don't speak to my family.

They think it's awful I don't let the kids see their grandparents (they've met my parents & my parents love to put on a show that's for sure).  So who knows maybe if they know the truth it will help bridge a gap.

Sorry OP, continue to stand up for yourself!!!

CABZS
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Oh how I wished for that, but not anymore.

So glad you found parents that love you & accept you!!!

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I didn't have parents...until I met my husband. Then his parents became my parents.

hopinforanother
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:46 PM

My mom was 16 when I was born. By 22 she had 4 children with 3 men. She was abusive and stuff. I still loved her...but sometimes I question whether or not she loved me. I don't think she knew how to love anyone.

Quoting CABZS:

You aren't alone, but take comfort in the fact that you had a mom at least for a short while.

I do not have parents, I can finally say I gave up.

They were controlling, abusive (physically, mentally, emotionally & sexually) & they drink way to much!  My dad is what would be called a "functioning alcoholic."

I am not close to my in-laws (many reasons) however I am sitting down w/them this weekend (well at least MIL & SIL) & telling them why I don't speak to my family.

They think it's awful I don't let the kids see their grandparents (they've met my parents & my parents love to put on a show that's for sure).  So who knows maybe if they know the truth it will help bridge a gap.

Sorry OP, continue to stand up for yourself!!!

rennez
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM
I can't imagine what that is like. Both my in laws and my parents are huge parts of our lives. We are making an offer on the house next door to my parents tomorrow. Im so sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)