Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school food almost kills child....

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:50 PM
  • 85 Replies

http://www.youralaskalink.com/news/local/Student-Hospitalized--118818309.html

Student Hospitalized

Corinna Delgado

After his medical condition is repeatedly ignored, Taurean Seller was rushed to the hospital.
Sellers is a 3rd grader at Muldoon Elementary.
He loves gym class, tennis, he has asthma and severe food alergies.
On more than one occasion Taurean's need ,according to his parents, were disregarded by school staff.
The parents have been struggling with the school district since 2008 . On multiple occassions, including untreated asthma attacks, and a repeated blind eye to taurean's alergy to eggs.
Taurean's parents have gone to such measures as having his doctors provide specialized training for school staff about his specific condition, signs, symptoms, and how to treat them.
The Anchorage School District is equipped with a computer program, that alerts cafeteria attendants to children with food allergies.
A pin number has to manually be entered to bypass an alert.
In taurean's case, the pin number was entered, and the child allergic to eggs and sesame was given an egg roll.
Taurean's family has been offered profuse appologies, possible explainations, and countless excuses. What they want ... is the safety of their child. Just last month a 13 year girl in Chicago died in the School Districts care when she was served a school lunch that contained peanuts.
ASD Super Intendant, Carol Comeau, syas this is a wake up call for the school district, and assures that protocol will be followed.
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Susan262
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM

That's pretty scary.

RLSMOM59
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:56 PM

If you know your child has allergies, why do yiu let him/her get food from the cafeteria? I can understand alerting everyone to the conditions but to be safe, I would send food in myself. without an account on file, the student would not be able to purchase lunch without money.

soon2bemomof307
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:01 AM

School food could kill my children. They have food allergies. I pack their lunches.

leftoversrgood
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:04 AM

ya i dont get this I have an severe egg allergy have since childhood, so my mother packed my lunches and eventually i packed my own.

My son has a severe Dairy allergy and I plan to pack his lunches.

My stepson so far has no allergy, but i would pack his. Same with the baby i am currently due with.

I get placing blame due to the pin being put in, but really now? if you know your childs allergy is that severe why even risk it?

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:05 AM

If my child was highly allergic to foods, I would make sure to send them with safe foods or to be quite honest, I might seriously consider homeschooling if the allergies were really severe.All it takes is one new cafeteria worker or someone simply forgetting.

happymama0609
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:06 AM

I agree. It says they have been having problems since 2008. Why not send your child to a new school that actually takes precautions to make sure your child is ok with their allergies. You know he has these food allergies, computers mess up, things happen he needs to bring his own lunch in.

Me personally, after the first asthma attack would have been untreated, I'd be hightailing it trying to find him a new school where he will be looked after properly. 

Quoting RLSMOM59:

If you know your child has allergies, why do yiu let him/her get food from the cafeteria? I can understand alerting everyone to the conditions but to be safe, I would send food in myself. without an account on file, the student would not be able to purchase lunch without money.

.k.e.l.l.i.e.
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM
If Melissa ends up with food allergies, guess who'll be having homemade lunches? Hopefully the parents wise up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmygirls1406
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:13 AM
I would pack my Childs lunch. I would never put that in someone elses hands.
.thickie.thick.
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:14 AM
I agree.

Quoting RLSMOM59:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yayay15
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 12:15 AM
It's sad they need a wake up call in order to fully care for their students. People Are just lazy and selfish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)