what all should a 2 year old be saying/doing?
My dd just turned 2 and my mom and aunt keep INSISTING she is advanced. I'm not around too many other children (especially in her age group) so I don't know what all she should be doing/saying.
Today my mom and my aunt watched her while I was working (they usually watch her, but not together) Well - when I got home, they started talking about how smart she is and how I should put her in preschool and possibly get her a tutor to teach her a second language. I know they're only trying to encourage her to reach her full potential, and they're partial to believing she's more advanced than any other child because they really do love her SO much and are both like her grandmas, instead of one grandma and an aunt - but part of me wanted to yell out "she's only TWO!'
Don't get me wrong, I think my daughter is amazing. . but the things is - she's still a little girl. And she's still my baby. Is she really ready for preschool and a second language? That seems like a little much to me. Yes, my daughter is bright and loves to learn - but she also loves to slide at the park, find cool sticks while outside, finger paint and play with her baby dolls. Should I really take her away from doing those things, even for a few hours a week, and stick her in a class room so she can learn french? I think that's crazy talk!
Anyways - here is a list of some of the things my daughter does that has my aunt and mother INSISTING I get her into preschool/tutoring ASAP -
- counts to ten on her own.
- knows her abc's up til G on her own.
- knows her name, and tells you it when asked.
- knows mommy, daddy and nanas name and tells you them when asked.
- when you ask her how old she is, she tells you "two" and holds her middle finger and index finger up. (my aunt thinks its a big deal that she holds the correct fingers up...)
- can recognize at least 20 different animals by picture and by seeing them (cow, dog, cat, duck, fish, lion, monkey, bird, snake, hippo, elephant, giraffe, etc.)
- when you ask her what the dog (cat, duck, monkey, cow or monkey) says - she does the right sound.
- she says 4-5 word sentences regularly. ex: "thank you so much mommy." "I want to go outside." "no, I don't like that." etc.
- when asked, shows you where her eyes, nose, lips, teeth, tongue, chin, ears, hair, fingers, thumbs, toes, knees, elbows, neck, booty and belly button are.
- knows how to draw a happy face, and can write J, E, and S (her name is Jessa - we're still working on the "A") - also, she recognizes when her name is written. She noticed it one day on our memo board/calender where I had written her doctor appt down, and I thought it was a coincidence. Then she got a card in the mail for her birthday, and it was addressed to her and she said "Look! Jessa!" and pointed right at her name.
- skips around the room and outside (my aunt thinks this is huge at her age)
- can stand on one foot for quite a while.
- rides her bike WITH training wheels.
- goes up and down stairs (with holding someones hand or railing) walking.
- does a summersault the correct way, on her own.
- when playing with her play kitchen, she will pretend to make coffee, cupcakes, etc and "serves them."
- she has a plain choo choo train - no lights, sounds, etc - and she pushes/pulls that thing all over the house and says "choo choo" and explains "train go to daddy's house."
- she has a little cash register - she makes me pretend to buy stuff and when we're done she says "thanks! have a good day!" (this one makes me giggle cause she sounds/looks so cute hehe)
- plays dress-up and gets REALLY into it - ex: she dresses up like ariel and tries to sing like ariel, she dresses up like a doctor and wants to listen to my heart, give me a shot, etc.
- when she writes/colors she holds her pencil/crayon correctly - i've never taught her this. my mother insists this is HUGE.
- she also has a BUNCH of baby dolls, stuffed animals, etc and she will pretend they're sick and give them baths, pretend to give them medicine, rock them, sing to them, etc. Like she'll be sitting playing with a different toy and suddenly stand up and say "oh no, baby is crying" and run and grab one of them and make them "all better". She also pretends to change their diapers.
There's a bunch of other stuff she does (ex: she saw my mom crying one day when looking at pictures of me and my sisters as babies, and she sat next to my mom and said "oh no! nana, are you okay?" and kept patting/rubbing my moms back.) that my aunt/mother think make her advanced for her age - I don't think EVERY two year old does the things she does, but I also think there are PLENTY of two year olds out there who do a lot MORE than her. To me - she's perfect, and I'm really scared they're going to try to push her too hard. I want to encourage her natural interest in learning, but I don't want to push her so hard she doesn't want to sit and read anymore, etc.
Do you think the things she does/says are advanced for her age, or are my aunt/mom freaking out over nothing? Like I said before, I personally think tutoring and preschool are a little much at her age, not that I could afford them anyways (they offered to pay for them both, ugh - as if they don't help me enough!),.
Please be honest - I think my daughter is amazing and I would NEVER change one thing about her - I'm just trying to figure out if my aunt/mother are exaggerating so I can tell them to chill lol
Thanks so much mammas <3