Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should I let my son wear underwear outside the house?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM
  • 16 Replies

My baby boy is 22 months and has been pretty much potty trained for about two months.  I say "pretty much" because he still needs help getting undressed, wiping, etc., and he still pees at night once in a while, but he rarely has a day time accident.  He tells me when he needs to go and is good at holding it until we get to a bathroom. 

He has been doing very well with it for quite some time, and if we are out and about, he will have an accident maybe 1 in every 15 times we are out.  He hasn't had any poop accidents in at least a month or two, but he will pee every now and then.

Anyway, we are staying in a hotel until we close on our house, so we leave the hotel quite frequently just to get out.  As a result, we go through a lot of Pull-Ups when I put him in one to leave the house, and I almost always end up eventually throwing the Pull-Up away even thought he didn't pee in it.  It just eventually gets classified like dirty underwear and has to be pitched.

I feel like this is such a waste and that he would most likely not have an accident if I let him wear underwear in public (He already wears underwear at home).  But I am still scared he might possibly pee.  I am just not sure when I will ever fully trust him.  He is still such a little boy even though he is generally great at telling me "pee pee potty" when he needs to go.

So if you have already been through potty training, when did you trust your kid to wear underwear in public?

I don't want to keep buying and throwing away Pull-Ups, and I also don't want to give him the impression that he can just pee his pants when he knows how to use the potty every time.  It is not like he goes in the Pull-Up on purpose, but I am worried he might be more inclined to just go in it because he will figure out that he still stays dry.

BTW, I didn't potty train him with Pull-Ups.  I potty trained him naked for the most part.  I just use the Pull-Ups as a precaution now that he is potty trained.

by on Apr. 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MisfitInTN
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2011 at 7:48 PM

ditch the pullups. My son was 20 mths when i potty trained him. Trained in less than 2 weeks and the first week he was going out in undies. pull ups is only a regression. its just like a damn diaper

CeeGee81
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2011 at 7:53 PM

When we started potty training I only ever used pull-ups at night for the first month or so.  During the day, whether we stayed home or went out, he had underwear on.  If you put pull-ups on him, he will get confused and might end up regressing.

I suggest not using pull-ups at all, throw'em out :)  He might have accidents the odd time, but accidents happen.

My son was 21 months when we started.

kjsmama0206
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Ditch the pull ups and just make sure you always have a change of clothes with you jic
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM

stop putting him in pull ups. i was terrified everytime we left the house when i was potty training DS but i did it. i just carried an extra pair of underwear and pants in my bag. just remember if he does have an accident while at the store or something dont be mad, just tell him its ok, accidents happen and change him

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Apr. 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM

do not let him wear pull ups anymore

I did this with my son sometimes when we went out, and he got extremely lazy and went in his pullup instead of telling me in time to go to the restroom.

I would take him out with no pull up, He has to get used to the idea of using the restroom when he needs to go

BeansandMash
by on Apr. 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I vote yes on the underwear, accidents are bound to happen, but he will learn quickly.

michaelabitner

absolutely let him wear underwear out. ALWAYS have an extra pair of pants and a towel incase you have a car seat accident. you are just wasting money on pull ups at this point. you can get gerber cloth training pants to help soak up accidents...they are comfy too.

creationary

I definitely won't be mad.  I am not that type.  I just might feel sorry for him and the other people who are out in public who have to see or smell it.  Thanks for the input so far ladies.  I guess I just need to get up the nerve.  He was out for a bit tonight in underwear but just in the lobby of the hotel, so it would have been easy to come up to our room and change if he had an accident.

Quoting poshkat:

stop putting him in pull ups. i was terrified everytime we left the house when i was potty training DS but i did it. i just carried an extra pair of underwear and pants in my bag. just remember if he does have an accident while at the store or something dont be mad, just tell him its ok, accidents happen and change him

momma2b2008
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM
When I potty trained my daughter she never wore pull ups! But if your son isn't having very many accidents the yes put him in underware!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMomsCoach
by on Apr. 3, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Hi- I agree with the other moms about the pull ups- the only thing I can add/suggest:  I put a potty chair in the back of my van so that we would have easy access just in case- maybe that would make you feel more secure. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)