Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Government Shut Down? Explain it to me like I'm an idiot...because I am.

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM
  • 35 Replies

What does it mean for us if there is a government shut down?

by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mackQuin
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM

it just means that government employees and those programs that are funded by the government (except welfare and social security) are shut down temporarily becasue for some reason congress failed to pass a budget to fund them.

It happens sometimes..the last time was in 1995-1996.

art.diva
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM
It means government employees wouldn't get paid, among other things. But it will never happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mackQuin
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM

oh and past shutdowns it has never affected the military but this time there is no 2011 DOD budget either..so the military is SOL like the rest of them.

mackQuin
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Quoting art.diva:

It means government employees wouldn't get paid, among other things. But it will never happen.

why don't you think it won't happen.

it has happened before. and in fact the one in 1995-1996 was the longest lasting 21 days.

It can happen and if nothing is put together by saturday will happen again.

BlessedMommyNE
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM

My husband works for the postal service.  Would that be shut down too?

mackQuin
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Quoting BlessedMommyNE:

My husband works for the postal service.  Would that be shut down too?

the last time they weren't and were exempt from a shutdown.

No one knows who will be exempt yet because obama just now told agencies to start drawing up their contengency plans..i am sure in the coming days everyone will know. The only reason the military knows is because news of the DOD's plan was leaked out.

art.diva
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM
It could happen, yes. But I don't even have faith that our Congress could even follow through with playing chicken. Lazy, self-absorbed excuses for public officials

Quoting mackQuin:

Quoting art.diva:

why don't you think it won't happen.

it has happened before. and in fact the one in 1995-1996 was the longest lasting 21 days.

It can happen and if nothing is put together by saturday will happen again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaoftwo
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I believe all non-emergency will be told to not come to work, and all emergency employees ( like fire fighters and police officers) will be told to report and they will be paid for it once the budget is passed.

But that is just what I heard from a policeman's wife, Im not positive I understood correctly

armywife2009101
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Non-emergency will get furloughed (sp) and everyone else will show up like normal and be paid back pay whenever they get things straightened. 

mackQuin
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Quoting mommaoftwo:

I believe all non-emergency will be told to not come to work, and all emergency employees ( like fire fighters and police officers) will be told to report and they will be paid for it once the budget is passed.

But that is just what I heard from a policeman's wife, Im not positive I understood correctly

thats kind of how it goes..

each agency has to draw up a plan..they have to have them turned in by Friday at 5. That plan lays out who works, who doesn't, who gets paid, who gets back pay and who receives no pay at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)