Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

government shutdown?? please explain

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

I really don't understand all of this. all I got from another post someone saying obama wants to fund planed parenthood rather than the military?

I'm confused. I don't watch the news unless it's the weather bc we are outside most of the day. TV is pretty much shut off all day.

Can someone explain in lamens terms wtf is going on? lol

by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cavalrybaby02
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Very simply put, congress can not agree to a federal budget.  And the government runs out of allocated money today or tomorrow (not sure exactly when).  When that happens the government will "shut down". 

Those working essential government jobs will be working without pay (with delayed pay) until congress can be mature enough to stop fighting and come to an agreement.

Those working non essential government jobs will be not working, but also not being paid until the budget is agreed upon.

MoonMamma3
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM

shut down as in..no more government. or shut down as in there are taking a week off? i'm so confused

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

Very simply put, congress can not agree to a federal budget.  And the government runs out of allocated money today or tomorrow (not sure exactly when).  When that happens the government will "shut down". 

Those working essential government jobs will be working without pay (with delayed pay) until congress can be mature enough to stop fighting and come to an agreement.

aiyess
by Gold Member on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

Those working non essential government jobs will be not working, but also not being paid until the budget is agreed upon.

Congress needs to get their butts into gear with this budget. 

pregnancy
wesleysmom08
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Thats totaly stupid. Congress acts like children sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM

those comments are provacative and really politicized. here is the release from the office of personnel management for the federal government. http://www.opm.gov/furlough2011/ 

this will give you the basic information about an actual shut down and how it will affect gov't employees without a bunch of spin. 

as for why it's happening, it's because things have become so polorized, and everyone in washington is trying to make everyone else look bad at America's expense. trying to concentrate everything down into stupid sounds bites like the ridiculous baby killing one is unintelligent and sensationalistic. right now, I am giving 50/50 odds that this will happen. If it does, it won't be cute. 

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Quoting MoonMamma3:

shut down as in..no more government. or shut down as in there are taking a week off? i'm so confused

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

plz look at my OPM link above to get your answer straight from the govt

Without ME there would be no awesome!

CoXe86
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Congress people act like spoiled brats not getting their own way and pouting about it....they need to grown a pair.....(just sayin)

Regina_Falange
by AKA Phoebe Buffay on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:47 PM
All hell is going to break loose when it happens. It's not going to be a good time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cavalrybaby02
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Really it's neither.  The government will be operating without a budget, that's all.  So most government employees won't be getting paychecks.

Quoting MoonMamma3:

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

greenie63
by Nancy on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:58 PM

As in until congress agrees on the budget. This isn't the first time this has happened. There have been 17 shutdowns since 1977.  In the past they weren't long, a couple of weeks at the most. 

Life will still function, it won't be mass craziness if that's what you're worried about. Things will be put on hold, for example if someone is filing a new soc sec claim, it won't be processed until the budget is approved. 

Quoting MoonMamma3:

Quoting Cavalrybaby02:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)