Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really worried about my four year old

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM
  • 17 Replies

My son was screaming this morning so I ran up to see what was wrong.  He was holding his neck and crying.  I asked him what happened and if he had fallen.  He said he was going potty and all of a sudden his neck hurt so he had to grab the ground and it hurt to move.  My six year old confirmed that he didn't fall or anything. 

I carried him downstairs and called my husband and he came home.  My four old was crying and screaming.  My DH took him to the doctor who thought he just had pulled muscle.  The rest of the afternoon he kept crying and holding his neck insisting his neck hurt on the right side.  His neck slowly started tilting to the left and he can't put it straight so I took him back to the doctor but a different one this time. I asked about menegitis and they said no because he was otherwise fine and no fever or anything. They still insisted it is just a pulled muscle but took x-rays and then sent him home.

He's still in a lot of pain and I'm concerned now.  My DH thinks I'm paranoid because two doctors said he was fine.  Anyone know any remedies for neck pain.  I'm not sure what to do the doctor said it would eventually get better which I think is stupid and gives him no relief right now.  Here's a picture of him when his neck started leaning to the left.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Wow. A neck like that is a sign of meningitis. Is there a nurse line or something you can call?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM
And my kids pedi told me there doesn't have to be a fever. My kids are unvaccinated so we have discussed what to look for
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
afwifeandmommy3
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:06 AM

i would try warm compresses, motrin, and even maybe something like icy hot

Beyondthesky37
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I told the doctors I was really concerned about it but they told me they were sure he didn't have that.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

And my kids pedi told me there doesn't have to be a fever. My kids are unvaccinated so we have discussed what to look for

lovebeingmrs
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM
Maybe a heating pad and some pain releaf med,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:08 AM
Web md says torticollis (sp)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MisfitInTN
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM
Try warm compresses, tylenol or motrin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shabbydoll78
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM

One morning, Not too long ago my son moved just so and pulled a neck muscle. He said nothing until later that morning i noticed he was walking around Disneyland with his neck tilted to one side. He did this all day long...drove me nuts. I wasn't exactly sure what to make of it. All he said was he had a sore neck, and that it hurt pretty bad, but that he was fine.  I gave him some children's ibuprofen for an anti inflammatory . The next morning it was quite a bit better. Three days later he was good as new.

Beyondthesky37
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

That's good to hear!  I hope he's better in the morning.  I have been giving him motrin but so far it hasn't seemed to help. 

Quoting Shabbydoll78:

One morning, Not too long ago my son moved just so and pulled a neck muscle. He said nothing until later that morning i noticed he was walking around Disneyland with his neck tilted to one side. He did this all day long...drove me nuts. I wasn't exactly sure what to make of it. All he said was he had a sore neck, and that it hurt pretty bad, but that he was fine.  I gave him some children's ibuprofen for an anti inflammatory . The next morning it was quite a bit better. Three days later he was good as new.

malissaL
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:12 AM

icy hot on the neck BURNS (at least, it does me) 

I have turned my head just the right way and wound up jacked up for a week. I think its possible for a kid to do the same...

I hope he gets better soon :(

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

i would try warm compresses, motrin, and even maybe something like icy hot

Its my body and I'll do what I want to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)