Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do to stop a toddler tantrum in the store or anywhere else for that matter?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:27 AM
  • 8 Replies

Please tell me......lol What works for you?

Any stories?

Has anyone else ever gotten involved?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mesha125
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Ive only had it happen with my 3 yr old one time and I told her that she was not going to throw a fit in the store. If she wanted to throw a fit she could do it when we were in the car. Oddly it worked. When we got in the car she asked if she could throw a fit now I said yup, she said ahhh, then gave up. I dont know why it  worked but it did. lol My older two have never thrown a fit in the store, thankfully!

yo_ho
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:37 AM

My oldest used to like to scream bloody murder in the stores. That deafening, ear piercing scream, yup, that would be my child. I was not above bribing with cookies at the end if he behaved. I would threaten to take them out of the cart and then there would be no cookies. Worked like a charm =) With my LO, I have to distract him, which normally means me acting like an idiot to keep him happy. It works and I normally don't care what people think. Normally I have him play I spy or do race car racing through the store.

QuantumLove
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Hmmm. Lol My 19 month old son does not talk yet....He kinda threw a mini squirmy whiny fit today and I have decided if he ever does it again I will take him to "time out" in his car seat......hopefully DF will be there with me if it happens again. I am just tryin to get advise from all the perfect kids's mom's lol.

Quoting Mesha125:

Ive only had it happen with my 3 yr old one time and I told her that she was not going to throw a fit in the store. If she wanted to throw a fit she could do it when we were in the car. Oddly it worked. When we got in the car she asked if she could throw a fit now I said yup, she said ahhh, then gave up. I dont know why it  worked but it did. lol My older two have never thrown a fit in the store, thankfully!

mommywife06
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:41 AM
Depends. Early in the store I take them to the bathroom and let them get it out and ignore. They stop after a while. Get a toy for them to play with checkout and distract them and give the toy to the cashier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
serioussifL
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:56 AM

If its at home, I ignore it. If its out in public at a store, I distract DD, usually with food. Shes usually throwing a fit for a reason- hungry, tired, cranky, teething, doesnt feel good, cant display how she feels any other way. So when I go out, Im pretty good at remembering to bring a snack. In a pinch, Ive opened up a package of fig newtons before buying to keep her quiet because I forgot her snack.

QuantumLove
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Damn...tried those lol. My toddler has never thrown a HUGE fit but he has gotten pretty whiny at times and when he was younger he used to straight up cry if he was tired or got hungry at the store.

Quoting mommywife06:

Depends. Early in the store I take them to the bathroom and let them get it out and ignore. They stop after a while. Get a toy for them to play with checkout and distract them and give the toy to the cashier.

mandjlong
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:01 AM
If my cart isn't super full and if I don't have my infant twins I take her to the carcand leave! I have a secret in the grocery store though.. I give her a caring basket and whatever she cam carry I'll by. She picks things I'd buy anyway like apples grapes and fruit snac!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandjlong
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:03 AM
Sorry for spelling auto correct!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)