Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chicago School Bans Home Made Lunches

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:48 AM
  • 29 Replies

I found this story online today, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Go ahead and read it, before you read the rest of this. Don't worry, I'll wait ... 

Done yet? Not quite? I know, the comments on these things can be quite entertaining, ok go ahead ...

Alright, good and mad yet? I was, and then I wondered, how many of these kids ARE getting fed horrible foods? How many kids will this help? My guess is, a lot.

I know in the county I live in, they've actually started the movement to feed their kids, you know, food at school. So out here we have 3 choices of meals for lunch every day. And those choices are all fresh and prepared on school property. Those choices always include a regular meal, say ... enchiladas or something. And then there's a dairy free, and a vegetarian version of the same thing. There's also a choice of a turkey or ham and cheese sandwich. And fresh fruit, donated by the local farmer's market. And breakfast every morning, with milk donated from the local dairies. 

But most schools aren't like that, and here's one in Chicago, a major urban school district, and they're making these kids eat nutritional food, whether their parents want it or not. I'm appalled that they are taking this choice from the parents, but I have to say, I'm even more appalled that they have to. 

What's your opinion? And what are the school lunches like where your child goes to school?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuburbnSurvival
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:55 AM

The school lunches in FL are atrocious. I would rather pack my child a lunch and, to be quite honest, I am against putting *any* restrictions on that. Its NOT the government's job to raise my child, its mine. I find this to be a violation of a parent's rights.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:32 AM

I know my kids cafeteria lunches inclueded meals like:

spaghetti, meatballs (NOT with real meat), bread and corn (really corn with spaghetti?)

hot dog, french fries, corn

hamburger, french fries , corn

pizza and bread sticks and my ultimate fav:

chicken nuggets, roll, corn

Really? Is it the school's goal to feed our children their ENTIRE day's worth of carbs?

OR are they carb loading them so they'll (hopefully) pay attention?

When a teenager comes home and says "I didn't eat lunch because it looked gross" THAT says ALOT!

Hey politicians listen up! Try as you might, YOU CAN'T GOVERN COMMON SENSE!

SuburbnSurvival
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:43 AM

What do we expect out of a country that, in 1981, decided that catsup was a vegetable?

Quoting 143myboys9496:

spaghetti, meatballs (NOT with real meat), bread and corn (really corn with spaghetti?)

Really? Is it the school's goal to feed our children their ENTIRE day's worth of carbs?

When a teenager comes home and says "I didn't eat lunch because it looked gross" THAT says ALOT!

mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:53 AM

hahahaha I think i was barely 1 when that got decided or right before i was one all because  they said ketchup was from a tomato

Quoting SuburbnSurvival:

What do we expect out of a country that, in 1981, decided that catsup was a vegetable?

Quoting 143myboys9496:

dsptchmommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:56 AM
Makes me angry! I can't afford to BUY my kids school lunch anymore. If they want to force kids to eat at school then they need to not charge the parents for the meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:08 AM

This is our county's school lunch menu for next month. They've changed some things up a bit, but it still amazes me the quality of foods our children are getting. If all schools fed their kids like this then maybe fewer parents would see the need to send home made lunches with their kids in the first place... 

AnnieMcD
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:09 AM

I agree with this, if it is mandatory, then they have no right charging for it. 

Quoting dsptchmommy:

Makes me angry! I can't afford to BUY my kids school lunch anymore. If they want to force kids to eat at school then they need to not charge the parents for the meal.

pinkiebabii
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:12 AM

In my school district where my younger brother goes they serve crap. I would hate for him not to be allowed to take lunch.

CABZS
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:30 AM
I would be pissed!

I feed my children very well & the school has no right telling me I can't! And if I want to pack a "snack" then I can.

I feed my children almost all organic food, no hormones added, etc. Are they doing this? Bc for me I don't believe the hambur they use is very healthy. I also don't use hamburg I use turkey bc it is healthier, are they doing this?

They can't truly know they are serving a healthier lunch than a parent! In my case I believe no matter what they serve what I provide is better!

Also, there are people who won't qualify for free or reduced lunches, so now parents have to struggle to feed their kids a mandatory school lunch. That is very wrong!
SuburbnSurvival
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:35 AM

Whether or not it's healthy is a moot point. The crux of my issue with it is that they should not be able to dictate what my child eats. If I want to feed my child cookies and crap--that's my right as a parent. I'm just blown away by the unabashed denial of rights.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)