Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My poor nephew.

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:37 AM
  • 21 Replies

I watch my 11 yr old nephew in the mornings before school. His mom has to be in work between 3am and 4am, so she drops him off and puts him to sleep on my couch M-F. Sometimes he sleeps and most of the time he doesn't. The kid is in baseball and practices almost daily from 5pm-8pm, not eating dinner or doing homework until he gets home. I understand that kids who play sports need to make sure they keep good grades etc. and that it takes tons of practice to be good etc. Anyway, last night apparantly, when they got home from practice they watched a family movie, staying up until almost 11pm. My nephew is having such a hard time right now getting up. I feel bad for him. I wouldn't worry so much but he has two older brothers both who have failed miserably in school. His oldest brother is 16, yes 16 and in 8th grade, seriously he can get his liscence this year and cannot pass middle school, his middle brother is in 7th grade and is almost 15. UGH!!! Poor kids!

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:41 AM
why are they delayed?
2and2onway
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Quoting momaof8:

why are they delayed?

No they are not delayed. Smart boys really, just not pushed academically. Both the older boys have lost their baseball privelidges a few years back due to grades, per the coach and my niece just doesnt care. She says that they are lazy and she doesnt feel like fighting with them. Yet, she allows them to stay up late, go out, play all night on their video games etc.

2and2onway
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:54 AM

BUMP!

judybant
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:57 AM

When my job started taking a toll like that on my son, I found a different job. She needs to stop being their friend, and start being their mom. 

beerebelly
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Sounds like she doesn't know how to maange her time/running of the house/kids.  My boys are in baseball too, 5x a week.  They are both straigh A students and get to school every day on time.  We also have to be there at 5.  The boys come home, do their homework, we eat at 4:30, then go to practice. 

beerebelly
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Oh and my ds is 13 in 8th grade.  I wouldn't like it if there was a 16 yo in his class.  Way different maturity level.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:02 AM

their mom needs to get her proirities straight

2and2onway
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Quoting beerebelly:

Sounds like she doesn't know how to maange her time/running of the house/kids.  My boys are in baseball too, 5x a week.  They are both straigh A students and get to school every day on time.  We also have to be there at 5.  The boys come home, do their homework, we eat at 4:30, then go to practice. 

Exactly, she does her own sports also. She is on a night bowling team and she does softball. If things like this took a toll on my kids it would be gone. Actually my 9 yr old dd used to go to Wednesday night group at church. She didnt get home until after 9:30pm. She started giving some problems with getting up after a while, so now she isnt allowed to go anymore.

2and2onway
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Quoting beerebelly:

Oh and my ds is 13 in 8th grade.  I wouldn't like it if there was a 16 yo in his class.  Way different maturity level.

Yeah and she told me a few weeks ago that she caught her 16 y/o having sex in the back yard. Not too many details on that one, not sure what grade the girl is in or anything. From what I hear he isnt passing this year either, but may be moved to the high school anyway in the resource room.

bellawomen
by Summer on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Wow, that poor group of boys.  Have you thought about asking her to let him spend the night at your house during the week?  I know it might be a little bit on you, but in the end it would be best for the son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)