Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know anyone who is an addict?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:59 AM
  • 74 Replies

I am not talking about smoking pot occasionally or someone who likes to shop. I am talking about a full blown addict in which their life is consumed by their addiction and it is their priority over other things in their life that are important like children, paying bills, working, etc...

How do you feel about their addiction?  How much control over it do they actually have in your view?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
myfoursonsks
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:02 AM

Must be too early for the serious stuff.

Jemmy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:02 AM
No, because I don't talk to people.

My best friend had a drug problem in hs. Cocaine, triple c, dropped out in 9th grade, had a miscarriage... all sorts of shit. She's pretty much got her life under control now. No more drugs, married, has a ged, job, and home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CeeGee81
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM

No I don't but here's a bump

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM

yes i do

imo the person i know has had plenty of time to get their shit straight has been off to rehab inpatient and out; and they honestly jsut don't give a fuck.  They enjoy doing the drug and that is all that matters.  it also doesn't help that they are enabled to a ridiculous amount and have 0 responsibility!

this person is obv no longer in my life

angie729
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM

My ex husband..I still have to deal with his crap because we have three boys. I have so much anger and hate toward him. If his own mother did not pay his bills for him he would not have a place to live.

momofone221
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:11 AM
Yes I do my DH. Well, he's a recovered addict. Has been clean for 11 years now.

He had given up on his life right before I met him which started his addicted to crack. We had a very rough 2yrs together. I stayed by his side while he went to rehab ect. I am very proud of him, he has accomplished so much and got his life back. However, I will never live that life again. I went down to 90lbs, the stress was awful. I do not fear him relapsing, he would never go back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
massteria
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:11 AM

My mother and several other people who have been in my life were/are addicted to many things.  Mother is addicted to prescription pain pills, went to rehab....then asked to be put back on them a few years later because she feels she has 'control' of it now LOL!!!!  The woman self medicates to the point where she can't remember half her day and you are lucky to see her actually dressed if you go visit! 

I don't think that addicts can control their addiction at all.  I feel that they have control over whether or not to confront and deal with their addiction.  I also feel that others in their life have control over whether or not to enable the behavior.

Jenniejen77
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Yes, I am a recovering addict. I have been clean from meth for almost 7 years. I have several former friends who are still struggling, and my BIL is an addict. 

Nobody has control over their addiction. Addiction always controls the addict. Until you can accept that, recovery isn't possible. I'm extremely saddened by the people in my life who are still struggling. I wish I could help them more, but it risks my recovery to do so. 

Jenniejen77
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Quoting massteria:

My mother and several other people who have been in my life were/are addicted to many things.  Mother is addicted to prescription pain pills, went to rehab....then asked to be put back on them a few years later because she feels she has 'control' of it now LOL!!!!  The woman self medicates to the point where she can't remember half her day and you are lucky to see her actually dressed if you go visit! 

I don't think that addicts can control their addiction at all.  I feel that they have control over whether or not to confront and deal with their addiction.  I also feel that others in their life have control over whether or not to enable the behavior.

This. So well said!

momofone221
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:15 AM
One of my friends is addicted to pills. Zanax is her drug of choice. She has been clean for a little while now after being put in the hospital for her kidneys failing. Hope it stays that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)