Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DS is having surgery tomorrow for tubes..

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

After 2 LONG years of waiting, my son is finally having surgery to get his tubes in and adnoids out tomorrow! He has speech delays because of the fluid buildup, and he was getting chronic ear infections.

I was wondering if any mommas who have been through this have any advice? I've been told it's very routine surgery and kids usually come out like nothing happend..aren't in much pain at all and aren't really cranky. Is this true? or what was your experience with it? Also, they said he should resume activities the next day (after surgery)..so does that mean I should send him to daycare like his routine usually is..or should I wait? Of course I'll see how he feels..but just wondering if he seems fine.

Also, he has a benign tumor near his heart..which is why the surgery took so long after the first year. Just because the anesthiologist was concerned about it and wanted the cardiologist to see him again and clear him for surgery. The cardiologist did clear him, and said really it shouldn't be a problem at all. However, they are concerned with what kind of tumor it really is...they can't figure it out. Anyways, I'm just nervous. Thanks in advanced for any input!

EDIT-- Thanks girls :). Anthony did greaaat! He only cried twice. The first time was shortlived..it was because he didn't want to put on the hospital jammies. Then the other time was when they were taking him to the operating room..he kept crying for me and Df. That tore our hearts out :-/. It was supposed to be a half hour..but it was closer to an hour when he got out. Of course I started panicing lol..especially because of his heart. But he was fine..the doctor just said he had abnormally big adnoids for his age and that he had a lot of puss/mucus like stuff in his ears so they had to drain them before the tubes. He never cried when waking up, just out of it. We were at the hospital maybe an hour..then when we got home, he was back to normal within another hour! It was like he never had surgery :).

*Anthony Thomas *11/9/07* & *Iris Raine *8/10/09*

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CeeGee81
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Oi!!  You didn't tell me it was TOMORROW!!!!

He will do great!  I had tubes put in my ears when I was 9ish I believe....didn't hurt at all....just felt groggy afterwards which is to be expected...it's a very routine procedure ...... little kids are SO resilient!!

He's a tough little dude!

Txt me when he goes in and then again when he comes out!!!

andrea515
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:49 AM

My friends ds had this done when he was 4 . He had to stay home from pre school for a couple days but I think the recovery was pretty quick . Good luck with everything , he will do great !!!!

Angelicembrace
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM

lol I didnt?!?! Omg it must have been the 20 other people I had to tell and must have forgot to tell you :( sowwwwwwwyyy. Im glad! As you know he's super sensitive so I've been worried about that too. I'll text ya :). Surgeries make me nervous though. But nothing was worse than when DD had hers..they said 40 mins..it took longer like an hour..and man that was the worst hour of my life.

Groggy sucks though! I think I'll be able to cheer him up with a popsicle though

Quoting CeeGee81:

He will do great!  I had tubes put in my ears when I was 9ish I believe....didn't hurt at all....just felt groggy afterwards which is to be expected...it's a very routine procedure ...... little kids are SO resilient!!

Angelicembrace
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Thank you :). That's what I figured..keep him home tomorrow and Friday then monday he will probably be able to go back.

Quoting andrea515:

My friends ds had this done when he was 4 . He had to stay home from pre school for a couple days but I think the recovery was pretty quick . Good luck with everything , he will do great !!!!

got3under4
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Good luck little man!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k_hall1784
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:59 AM
I don't have any experience but I do wanna send positive vibes your way :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CeeGee81
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

lol that's ok....I knew it was cominjg up just didn't know the exact date.

wooooooooooo popsicles...they always make kids feel better

Quoting Angelicembrace:

lol I didnt?!?! Omg it must have been the 20 other people I had to tell and must have forgot to tell you :( sowwwwwwwyyy. Im glad! As you know he's super sensitive so I've been worried about that too. I'll text ya :). Surgeries make me nervous though. But nothing was worse than when DD had hers..they said 40 mins..it took longer like an hour..and man that was the worst hour of my life.

Groggy sucks though! I think I'll be able to cheer him up with a popsicle though

Quoting CeeGee81:

Angelicembrace
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Thank you girls!

housfullofkidds
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM

My 3 1/2 yr old has had 2 sets of tubes his adnoids removed twice(yes they can grow back.) and his tonsils removed. when he had his tubes and adnoids removed, he woke up a tad cranky because of the anastetic, but other than that he was back to normal after a much needed nap. i wouldnt worry about sending him to daycare the same day, but the day after he should be just fine. Its a very routien surgery and he should do just fine. GL.

ps, my son lost his hearing to ear infections and high fevers. have you had his hearing checked? because of his speech delay. it probably is just the fluid that is building up in his ears, but that can cause  alot of damage. if you would like to know more.. feel free to pm me. :)

wiener
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM

my Son had tubes put in right after his first Birthday, it was very routine and in and out of surgery in less then 5 minutes, he was cranky when they brought him to the recovery room but that was because he was not allowed to eat or drink anything since midnight the day of his surgery, the surgery was at 730am so needless to say he was not to happy at all to began with and after ward they would not allow him to have anything but water for 45min. but once we got in the car and he got his bottle of milk he was a happy baby once again

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)