Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unemployment

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM
  • 5 Replies

If you have to file for unemployment what is the percentage you get paid? Say you got paid $40,000 at your job but were now unemployed, how much would they pay you?  Is it the same for everyone or does it depend on why you were laid off? I'm asking because my friend thinks some people get paid the exact same as what they were getting at their job. BUT why would they pay the same amount? People would never even look for a job if that was the case. They don't want you to stay on unemployment forever right?.......Anyways, I would love some insight on this please! thanks

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Justine1123
by Justine on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:43 AM
I use to make around 550 a week and was only eligible for 275 a week luckily I found a job before the check came so I only filed one week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mena929
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I don't know the percentage, but I was making $52,000 a year and when I had to go on unemplyment (back in 2006) I was only getting $357 a week.

JaimieLynn8
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM
It goes by quarters, it depends on how long you've had that job at that particular pay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM

the amount varies by state, but no they don't pay you what you were making at your job.  I am getting about half, and only that much because of a dependent allowance for my children.  but I also would qualify for more if they counted my disability pay from when I was out on maternity leave; they don't, so my income was significantly less during those quarters than it normally was.

it does not matter why you were laid off as to how much they pay though.  it's based strictly on earnings plus possibly a dependent allowance.

sparklesx4
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:09 AM

My SO gets about 200 less then his normal checks. I'm not really sure what it depends on bc my SO gets the same as his friend and they have 2 less kids then we do, but everything else is the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)