Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

for Catholics and your bibles:

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM
  • 9 Replies

Poll

Question: Which bible?

Options:

The New American Bible

The Jersualem Bible

Douay-Rheims

King James Version

Biblia Sacra Vulgata

Other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 8

View Results

what bible do you use? why that bible?

*i am Roman Catholic and i use either NAB or Douay-Rheims.*

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
HouseKatof2
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I am pretty sure, last I heard, Catholics use the King James. 

joli13
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:59 AM

i know! i'm finishing poll.

Quoting HouseKatof2:

I am pretty sure, last I heard, Catholics use the King James. 

TattooMommy143
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM

catholics do not use the king james version. king james is a protestant bible and is missing the seven books that are included in the catholic bibles.

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I don't know actually, outside of church and school I have only ever read my grandmother's Bible which she bought in Portugal so I don't know which version it is.  As far as in my home, we don't own a Bible, yes I am a very bad Catholic!   I do however remember that in school (went to Catholic school) we used the New American Bible since according to the Monseigneur was the only translation of the Bible currently approved for use by the Church (apparently someone in the class had brought in the wrong version I don't remember all the details, it only stands out because the usually soft spoken priest was very upset)

joli13
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:08 AM

some catholics do. *The Catholic Bible is a more generic term for the Holy Bible. The KJV is just one of the many other versions of the Holy Bible.

Quoting TattooMommy143:

catholics do not use the king james version. king james is a protestant bible and is missing the seven books that are included in the catholic bibles.

joli13
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM

that's my case as well: i went to catholic school all my life and we had to use the NAB. but, when i graduated i read another version. to me, they both told the same message about God. i didn't see the big deal. but catholic school is strict! 

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

I don't know actually, outside of church and school I have only ever read my grandmother's Bible which she bought in Portugal so I don't know which version it is.  As far as in my home, we don't own a Bible, yes I am a very bad Catholic!   I do however remember that in school (went to Catholic school) we used the New American Bible since according to the Monseigneur was the only translation of the Bible currently approved for use by the Church (apparently someone in the class had brought in the wrong version I don't remember all the details, it only stands out because the usually soft spoken priest was very upset)

romanceparty4u
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Quoting TattooMommy143:

about that.....where did those books come from?

Why would there be additional books? Did anyone read revelations? I thought the bible was set up that you could not add or remove material from them

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I know that grandmother's Bible is only slightly different from the NAB so I assume it is the Douay-Rheims version so I decided to google the differences.

Apparantly it is all in the translation source - The NAB takes the English language translations such as the DR (aka Douay-Challoner, more modern version used as the standard until about 1988 when it was replaced by NAB) and modernizes them by using modern translations.  While the DC was translated directly from Greek and Hebrew manuscripts and uses a more literal translation of these languages. 

The way I see it, the Bible is open to interpretation, I believe it is to be a source of comfort and inspiration to guide us in choosing our path in life.  I do not believe it matters which version we choose because in the long run we will interpret it to fit our own take on the faith as it fits into our lives.

Quoting joli13:

that's my case as well: i went to catholic school all my life and we had to use the NAB. but, when i graduated i read another version. to me, they both told the same message about God. i didn't see the big deal. but catholic school is strict! 

Quoting sllytnkrbl:

sllytnkrbl
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Bible is just a title given to a book of faith -- each faith has it's own version, ours happens to include the books, other brances of Christianity do not.  While each version of the Bible is sacred to the followers of that faith it isn't expected to be viewed in the same light by other faiths and their followers.    So your right in regards to Catholics but as far as Protestants are concerned they are right.  

Aside from that we need to remember the Bible is based on translations of ancient manuscripts, no one knows what the original manuscripts actually said or who actually wrote them or where they words truly came from which is why there are so many takes on it and so many branches of Christianity in the first place, each picks and chooses what best fits their faith system.  As long as the basic principles of faith are followed, I really don't think it matters which Bible we read.  Just my take on it anyway.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

Quoting TattooMommy143:

about that.....where did those books come from?

Why would there be additional books? Did anyone read revelations? I thought the bible was set up that you could not add or remove material from them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)