Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for a Jehovah Witness! Or those who have been visited by a Jehovah Witness.

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM
  • 27 Replies

If you are a Jehovah Witness what is the strangest encounter you have had while knocking on doors? If you aren't what has been your funniest visit?

I know the guys that just visited my house, had to have a had a laugh just now. I must admit that I was hoping my beagle's loud bark would deter them from my house, but alas they knocked anyways.

So they got me, in my pjs, hair everywhere..with no makeup. Not to mention, when I opened the door to step out on the porch..my mini dachshund took off out the door, then realized these were strangers and got scared. So here I stand looking horrible, with a shaking weenie-dog, and wanting to laugh at the situation. By this point, my beagle is barking up a storm, my big dog is in the backyard having a fit, the neighbor's dog is trying to jump the fence...and then a mosquito takes out my forehead.

SO what has been your worst experience? While I am not a Jehovah Witness, I am not meaning this post to bash their practices in anyway. Just a post for laughs about those times when a visit just doesn't seem ideal :)

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2LnJ
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:53 AM
My DF answered the door to them the other day. It was a woman with a kid. The kid was probably around 8 or 9 and did all the talking. The mom, or whoever she was, just sat there. Once they left I told him they probably use kids now so people will be less likely to slam doors in their faces lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cowgirlmama
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Quoting Mommy2LnJ:

My DF answered the door to them the other day. It was a woman with a kid. The kid was probably around 8 or 9 and did all the talking. The mom, or whoever she was, just sat there. Once they left I told him they probably use kids now so people will be less likely to slam doors in their faces lol

LOL -- if we were afraid of having doors slammed in our faces we wouldn't be out knocking on doors to begin with. ROFL But probably the reason the mom didn't say anything is because by 8 or 9 kids are learning how to speak to their neighbors on their own. Parents are there to guide them incase they forget what they are going to say, or if the householder asks a question that they don't know, or can't remember the answer to.

Does anyone here know why Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door? Would you like to know? Just for information? I'm not trying to "preach" at you, just wanted to share why we do what we do.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I feel bad because one day a JH was coming up my drive. The dog went nuts and I had to close the front door quickly, to avoid him from bolting out the screen door after him.

I quickly went to see who it was and ran out to the garage just in time to see him leaving our drive. I felt awful!

I knew it was a JH because they had stopped here before. But haven't since.

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM

First time - I always try to be nice. Thanks, but no thanks. 

Second visit - same, but more blunt and firmer. 

Third time... I usually will do something to hope they never come back. Flat out tell them that I am an atheist, jesus was an alien and then follow it up with whatever action I can. Example: my friend happened to be over when they visited. My DH answered the door. They were determined to give us their lit, even with DH saying "no." My girlfriend and I walked to the door and took DH by the hand and said that our family already had "religion" and asked if they wanted to join. We both then gave DH a kiss so that they'd think we were some happy polygamists or threesome or whatever (no, we're not lol - ACT). 

It has been about 2yrs since that visit. 

bluesky51201
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Quoting cowgirlmama:

Quoting Mommy2LnJ:

LOL -- if we were afraid of having doors slammed in our faces we wouldn't be out knocking on doors to begin with. ROFL But probably the reason the mom didn't say anything is because by 8 or 9 kids are learning how to speak to their neighbors on their own. Parents are there to guide them incase they forget what they are going to say, or if the householder asks a question that they don't know, or can't remember the answer to.

Does anyone here know why Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door? Would you like to know? Just for information? I'm not trying to "preach" at you, just wanted to share why we do what we do.

I've heard its because you want to "save" as many people as you can.  That's what the literature I've been getting in my door seems to say.  I live in a neighborhood with no solicitation signs and I still get them.

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM

The guy around the corner from me is JW. He annoys the crap out of me lol! Not b/c he's JW (and I know he is b/c he drives a van for their church, which has the kingdom hall name plastered all over it), but b/c he lets his dog roam freely throughout the neighborhood. Teases my dog and gets into the trash! GRRRR! 

Maybe that's his way of going door-to-door?! Letting the dog do it for him!  LMAO! Of course I'm kidding. He has never come to our door with lit. It's always women in our neighborhood, But, like I said in my PP, they don't come over anymore. 

The mormons, however! GRRRRR! My grandfather is Mormon and keeps sending them to my house! I have tried everything to get rid of them! Yes, I have told my grandfather that we are not joining. I have resorted to hiding when I see them on our block! Sad, but true! 

Livv066
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I was about 16 or so at the time, and probably being a real snot. My mom, dad, bro and I were doing yard work. I was hosing off the window screens, when I saw JH come up the driveway. I had to have been the last person to see them, because when I turned around, everyone was gone. So JH started talking to me...I was looking for my mom or dad, and saw my dad hiding on the ground in the pump-house, laughing at me. LOL Its a good memory of my dad, he always was one up on us.

angevil53
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:48 PM
This old lady wouldn't stop banging on my door. One day I was in the tub when she did. I peeked out to see who it was and then dropped my towel when I saw her. I answered the door naked. She never came back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCG83
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:50 PM
I actually would love to know more! Please share!!!!

Quoting cowgirlmama:

Quoting Mommy2LnJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytohuddy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM

my parents pulled that on my 17 year old brother not too long ago haha

Quoting Livv066:

I was about 16 or so at the time, and probably being a real snot. My mom, dad, bro and I were doing yard work. I was hosing off the window screens, when I saw JH come up the driveway. I had to have been the last person to see them, because when I turned around, everyone was gone. So JH started talking to me...I was looking for my mom or dad, and saw my dad hiding on the ground in the pump-house, laughing at me. LOL Its a good memory of my dad, he always was one up on us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)