Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share Your Spring Gardening Tips

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM
  • 121 Replies

Spring is great time for gardening. It’s easy and fun to grow your own vegetables, fruits annd flowers.

We gave 20 moms Burpee gardening kits and asked them to use them in their home gardens and share their results here.

Do you have any spring gardening tips?

** The CafeMom Team

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamagoose831
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM
Plastic..... They look beautiful and the rain washes them for me. Usually people never realize they are fake. (unless they are polite and just aren't saying anything) lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hobbit1123
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I was so excited to receive the Burpee Garden in a Box! When I was notified by CafeMom and Burpee that I was chosen to take part in this I thought I'd get maybe 1 or 2 plants or a few packet of seeds. But what I received shocked me!

The box was huge and included was:

Basil boxwood - 2 plants

Basil Sweet Italian - 2

Tomato 4th of July - 2

tomato bush early girl - 2

Tomato Napa Grape - 2

Pepper Red Delicious 2

Pepper costa rican sweet - 2

and here they are outside planted in our backyard

SanDiegoMaxMom
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Friday was Earth Day and I was the guest lecturer at Max's Kindergarten.  We covered some ASL (American Sign Language) signs that had to do with growing things....grow, garden, pea, cup, water, sun, etc.  After that we planted some peas in repurposed containers.  I chose peas because Kindergarten students need some immediate feedback and peas sprout quickly. 

Here are the pea seeds planted in the recycled Mandarin Orange cups.  On Tuesday (yesterday) some of the peas had already sprouted!

When I returned home from the Kindergarten class, I had a pleasant surprise waiting for me....plants!  I had volunteered to be a tester for Burpee awhile back.  Fed Ex delivered a box of live plants, and on Earth Day.  How fortuitous!

In the box were 2 plants of each:  2 varieties (Red Delicious, Costa Rican Sweet) of pepper, 3 varieties (Napa Grape, 4th of July, Early Girl) of tomato and 2 (Sweet Italian, Boxwood) varieties of basil.  I got right to work.

The plants arrived and were strong and healthy looking.  Typically, I grow heirloom varieties, directly from seed.  The row on the left are my own plants.  The middle and right hand rows are the Burpee tomato plants, which are hybrids.  The peppers and some of the basil are in the sunny spot near the tree trunk. 

Here are the black soy beans starts that I transplanted in the big garden.  These were started from seeds from the Bountiful Gardens catalog.  They have a lot of hard to find seeds and all are heirloom.
Here are some peas, started about a week and a half prior that I transplanted.  Let's see how the tomato ladders work as support for them.

Since my cucumber starts keep getting devoured by the snails, I'm trying something new.  I am covering the area in plastic and spreading diatomaceous earth on the plastic.  The back is a support so these cukes can climb.  So far, my cucumber seedlings remain unmolested by the snails.....yippee!

So hope you enjoyed my gardening updates from last week....stay tuned for more.  Enjoy your week!

Vamadia
by on Apr. 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I too recieved my box from FedEx on Earth Day.  I had forgotten all about signing up for this because I didn't figure I would be picked, so when I got free plants I was excited but confused.  It took me 3 days to figure out where they had come from as there was nothing in the box about it being from the CafeMom influencer program.  Anyway, this past weekend we went and bought soil to go in these big containers we had planned on using for gardening this year and got them planted.  I recieved exactly the same plants as the previous poster listed was in her box.  Here are pictures of my setup for these plants.

The Basil plants ^^^

The Tomato plants^^^

The pepper plants ^^^

And if you are going to do container gardening, go with a light colored container if it will be in direct sunlight.  These containers are now painted grey.  The black would have caused the soil to get too hot in the sun and dry out too quickly. 

Happy Gardening!

taterandmoon. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

kparker75844
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Hi! I am Kelly, a Texas mom of 3.  This is my second year of gardening, so I am definately a novice here. I love my box of plants from burpee!  I haven't had a chance to get pictures yet. But all plants are in the garden and look great! Expect pictures soon I and I will update as they grow!

hobbit1123
by on May. 3, 2011 at 8:49 AM

hey Kelly where in Texas are you? I'm in south Texas :)

hobbit1123
by on May. 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM

http://www.hendersonhomestead.wordpress.com/

making a blog about my CM/Burpee garden experience  

hobbit1123
by on May. 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM

is this all of us that got the gaden in the box kit?

Vamadia
by on May. 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I think so.  I think they only picked 5.

rglrtmmy
by on May. 10, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Just yesterday I received a message from cafemom asking me to participate in this. I thought it was over...??? I clicked on the link and updated my address and phone number so I hope it's the real deal and I get some plants!!!!! I'll be so excited! Especially since I expanded my garden this year.

tammy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)