Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to tell my mom NOT to bring one...

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM
  • 10 Replies

My mom and dad will be making a trip from Vegas to CT about a month after the baby is born. She has a few small dogs and one big one at home and is planning to bring one of the small ones with her. Shes giving herself this 'dilemma' of which dog not to bring; one hates kids so he's out, one is blind and gets cranky when in unfamiliar settings so it can't be him...and so on.

I love my mom, I'm excited for her to come, but I REALLY don't want her to bring a dog. We'll have the new baby, my older children, and I have a dog of my own. Last time I had another dog around him I spent most of the time pulling them off of each other. I just really don't want to deal with another animal being here.

I just don't know how to go about telling her. She LOVES her dogs, I use to think she loved them more than us kids haha. I don't want to offend her, but I don't see why bringing one of them is necessary, kwim?

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."
-Richard Dawkins
"He who knows best knows how little he knows."
-Thomas Jefferson

"The sky would be boring if all the clouds looked the same"
 -My daughter

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WenisEnvy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Sorry hun I dunno but here's a bump! I used to have this issue with my in laws...They would be comin to our house, and NOT tell us they were bringing their dog until they were like right around the corner, and we don't like their dog and they know it. Thing is, we didn't have any animals so why the hell would we want their animal at our house? kwim?

JayBran06
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM

just say something along the lines of " mom i am really glad your coming down and am looking forword to seeing you, but i dont really think that you bringing one of your dogs is a good idea. With me having just had the baby and already having a dog i am not sure your dog will be happy and it will create more stress for me if you bring him/her and my dog and yours dont get along" I am sure your mom will understand and consider your wishes especially if you are respectful and dont beat around the bush.

Lilypie - (gF0t)

Lilypie - (aYMd)

Lilypie - (vX08)

Lilypie - (aHIL)

Lilypie - (kHIU)

Daisypath - (ui5s)

MultiPara
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Just say no

mama2jarednrae
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM

If it was my mom I would just say "Don't bring any dogs with you!"

Dh's mom I would have him tell her the same thing!

Sanctimommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM

You can bring your dog
I got three
He can play the wolf for the evening
If you were to get lost behind these locks
Ain't that a good thing
Ain't that a good thing
Ain't that a good thing cause

I'm not makin' any promises
I'm not livin' to be the Mrs.
I'm not makin' any promises honey

But you still got that somethin' pretty boy
You still got that somethin' as a man
You still got that somethin'

Of this I know
Of this I know

That one fancies herself
As a black lab
I hear that your old flame
Is a pure breed
Me? I guess you could say
I'm a Siamese

Ain't that a good thing
Ain't that a good thing
Ain't that a good thing cause

You'll be too busy boy
To sue her for damages

But you still that somethin' pretty boy
You still got that somethin' as a man
You still got that somethin'
Of this I know
Of this I know

You can bring your dog anytime
You can bring your dog
You can bring your dog
You can bring them all
You can bring your mom
Bring your dog
Baby Baby
Please now
Bring bring your love

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM

something along these lines should be fine to say to her.

Quoting JayBran06:

just say something along the lines of " mom i am really glad your coming down and am looking forword to seeing you, but i dont really think that you bringing one of your dogs is a good idea. With me having just had the baby and already having a dog i am not sure your dog will be happy and it will create more stress for me if you bring him/her and my dog and yours dont get along" I am sure your mom will understand and consider your wishes especially if you are respectful and dont beat around the bush.

momma-flynn
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Just tell her that after how the last visit went, you'd be more comfortable if she didn't bring any dogs this time. Especially because of the new baby.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM

I'd just be honest with her about it.  You really appreciate her coming and are really excited to see her, but with the other kids, your pets, and the new baby, you do not want another dog in the mix.  I don't think it should be that hard to understand. 

On another note, I'm in CT too!

fallen018
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM

agreed with this.

Quoting momma-flynn:

Just tell her that after how the last visit went, you'd be more comfortable if she didn't bring any dogs this time. Especially because of the new baby.

spunky946
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Quoting fallen018:

agreed with this.

Quoting momma-flynn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)