Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you who say that being unhappy isn't a good enough reason for divorce

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM
  • 73 Replies
Then what is a good reason? And why is being unhappy a bad reason?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.kk.
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Being unhappy is a good enough reason to me IF you've put all the effort into changing things as you can.

Then again, I'm divorced and people say all the time that my reasons weren't good enough. I don't think marriage or divorce should be taken lightly, but until you've been in a fly of the wall of that person's bedroom, you don't know what you're talking about and shouldn't judge......

LysNVantesMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I don't think being unhappy is a bad reason, but I could think of worse reasons, abuse for one.  In my opinion though some things that make one unhappy can be considered abuse.  I feel emotional abuse is at times awful for some.  It can make a person miserable, and I can only imagine how unhappy physical abuse would make a person. 

thatgirl70
by Carin on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I think it depends. I mean if you don't even try to figure out why you are unhappy and work on it, then what good does that do you?

saraface5383
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM
I think any reason you feel is good enough is reason enough. Being unhappy and knowing it will not change is damn good reason, I do think you should try of course but someones people are past that point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saraface5383
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM
Sometimes not someones

Quoting saraface5383:

I think any reason you feel is good enough is reason enough. Being unhappy and knowing it will not change is damn good reason, I do think you should try of course but someones people are past that point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherbugs
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:48 PM
This although I'm not divorced...

Quoting .kk.:

Being unhappy is a good enough reason to me IF you've put all the effort into changing things as you can.

Then again, I'm divorced and people say all the time that my reasons weren't good enough. I don't think marriage or divorce should be taken lightly, but until you've been in a fly of the wall of that person's bedroom, you don't know what you're talking about and shouldn't judge......

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuburbnSurvival
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Quoting thatgirl70:

I think it depends. I mean if you don't even try to figure out why you are unhappy and work on it, then what good does that do you?

Marriage today is a joke. Nobody takes it seriously, which is sad. I am adamant that divorce should be granted in cases of Abuse and Infidelity only.

Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:51 PM

for me being married is a lifelong commitment. i went into vowing to stay with my husband thru anything good or bad. almost every marriage has their ups and downs. that is normal. thats life. sometimes in a marriage in the bad times, and even in the good times you have those doubts if you really should be in this marriage or relationship. but you work thru them. i don't believe in just up and leaving cuz you aren't happy cuz usually it is just a temporary feeling. and instead of just up and leaving, how about talking to your spouse about your feelings and work thru them instead of just giving up?? for me to actually get a divorce and leave my husband, it would have to be something really really seriously wrong. like abuse or cheating. or if he had some kind of secret life i didn't know about. but thats for me. i take my marriage seriously and i am not gonna leave over something small. i will fight for my marriage till the very end and will do my best to make it work. for me, just being unhappy is not a reason cuz that is just a problem with yourself and not the marriage. fix yourself. work on yourself. leaving the marriage is not gonna fix anything.

Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Don't you think, though, that being unhappy and staying can lead to some bigger issues? Such as emotional abuse or infidelity?

I'm married. Just curious bc I see divorce posts and then see women get all judgemental, saying being unhappy is a poor "excuse" to divorce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3xangel
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Quoting thatgirl70:

this. happiness doesnt just happen, it takes work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)