Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, what's wrong with taking away gender sterotypes?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:35 PM
  • 39 Replies

confused

I really don't understand what the big deal is with taking away the stereotypes and letting our children grow up and be themselves and not worry about whether that toy/clothes/job is for a boy or girl?

The psychologist called it "Gender Sterilization".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110413/ts_yblog_thelookout/hot-pink-toenailed-boy-in-j-crew-ad-sparks-controversy

(This is not about nail polish per say, it's about it ALL)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM

blank stare

SuburbnSurvival
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Nothing wrong with it, among older children where gender roles have been established.

sunkst
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I've noticed it's more geared toward the boys too.  If a girl wants to play with trucks and in the mud, she's a tomboy and it's cute.  If a boy does something "reserved" for girls, it's the most horrible thing anyone's ever seen. 

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Quoting SuburbnSurvival:

Nothing wrong with it, among older children where gender roles have been established.

That is exactly what I am talking about. What is the big deal with "establishing gender roles"? Why do we, as a society, need to do that?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Quoting sunkst:

I've noticed it's more geared toward the boys too.  If a girl wants to play with trucks and in the mud, she's a tomboy and it's cute.  If a boy does something "reserved" for girls, it's the most horrible thing anyone's ever seen. 

I've noticed that too. It's so unfair.

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I have no idea what the big deal is. DS actually wore a lot of pink when he was an infant, now that he's older he likes play with some 'girly' things like my little pony and with a ton of stuffed animals vs cars and junk. He also LOVES when I'm painting my nails and paint some of his. It the most adorable thing ever. 

Lottie925
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Nail polish aside (because it's so trivial) - there ARE differences between boys and girls. There just are. Ignoring them is not natural. I believe children should grow up and be whatever they feel is right for them. My DD loves pink, yellow and blue as her fave colors. But... she's 3.5 and also notices that there are very palpable differences between the sexes in her own class.

I think it's one thing (a good thing) to not concentrate on those differences. To try not to stereotype your child too much (this is my girl, put her in pink, sign her up for ballet, avoid sports etc.). But it's weird to dress a child completely gender neutral, gender neutral hair, gender neutral name and not allow them to be what may be natural to them. It's NOT just nurture... it's nature too.

ToraMay
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM

EVERY CHILD WILL GROW UP GAY!!! Our species will not propigate and the human race will die. You think its minor, not worth thinking about... well you will be responsible for the death of humanity... I HOPE YOUR HAPPY!!!

lol..... totally JK Theres nothing wrong with it.

.kk.
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Don't you know that it is the downfall of our society? *eye roll*

SuburbnSurvival
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting SuburbnSurvival:

That is exactly what I am talking about. What is the big deal with "establishing gender roles"? Why do we, as a society, need to do that?

I am a traditionalist. I think that the family unit functions better with both a strong female and male influence. I am, by no means, condemning the feminist movement, but children develop better in a traditional setting. To have the traditional setting naturally occur, gender roles must be established while the child is young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)