Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do SAHMs Do It?! -Kinda Long But Poll Included-

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:54 PM
  • 96 Replies

Poll

Question: So...?

Options:

Stop whining and suck it up! It's only four more years until she goes to school.

Get a hobby that includes DD. (And tell me what that would be.)

Get a hobby that doesn't include DD. (Like what?)

Get a job.

That "other" option, whatever it may be... (Explain, please.)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 124

View Results

I am a SAHM to my DD who is 9mo today and I love it. I can't see any other option for us. The problem is- I'm crazy bored. It's not that I have nothing to do- I'm doing laundry right now, playing with the baby, trying to get caught up on homework, and about to sweep/mop the kitchen. Physically I'm busy but mentally I'm bored.

If DD was older we could play games or go somewhere. But right now when I try to take her to the park we only walk around for a few minutes then she gets bored/tired and we come home. Honestly it takes us longer to get dressed and get in the car than we can stay at the park.

DH suggested that I get a job, but he was just trying to get me to shut up. There is NO WAY I could get a job- DD is exclusively breastfed, my income wouldn't cover daycare, and DD and I are very, very attached to each other. She and I could not leave each other for any reason. This is nothing against working mothers- it's just not for our family.

I'm 20, so most of my old "friends" are too immature to hang out with with a baby. I have no interest in seeing them because of the activities that they're still in to and it would be completely inappropriate to include a baby in that. I do have one friend I could visit (and she's probably reading this. Tee hee.) but honestly DD and I like to hang out quietly and be calm, but my friend is a busy-body! She's always up and running and has three active children running and screaming everywhere and a baby. We love our friend but we can't keep up. We're nappers. [:

So, what kind of things do you do as a SAHM with a very young child? Or think I should follow a different suggestion or just suck it up?

-Just to reiterate, DD ONLY nurses; she can't use a bottle and I wouldn't want her to, anyway. Also, she can't nap without me and still needs naps every three or so hours.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

"With a sound body of theoretical knowledge, appropriate models, and numerous opportunities for personal experiencing, the process of becoming more fully human can be greatly accelerated."

-George Gazda
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orcadarwin
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Hobbies are always good.  I have cross-stitching and painting as my hobbies.

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I voted to get a hobby with your daughter.  Look into Mommy & Me classes or something like that.  

You can also just get out and go to a store and walk around.  Not really buy anything, but just go to mosey around and get out.

You can walk around your neighborhood and point out things to your daughter.  Point out flowers, birds, the sky, clouds and all kinds of stuff.  She may not be able to repeat it back to you, but she is taking it all in.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Luvmygirls1406
I have many hobbies, we go do things a lot. I have a zoo or sea world membership every year. I stay busy. I have bible study once a week. I bake, cook, read, make bows, the list cow
D go on and on.
jnttd

Hmmm... I'm not sure I'd have the patience or skill for that. But I could try them! Thanks. [:

Quoting orcadarwin:

Hobbies are always good.  I have cross-stitching and painting as my hobbies.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM

You could join MOPs if you are Christian or thinking of becoming one, or many area have neighborhood moms groups, if you are AA you could join Mocha moms, or you could join any of the millions of moms group in your area like AP moms, LLL, breastfeeding moms. All these types of groups have tons of meet ups and events for board mom but the only thing is there are never very many young moms, in fact in my experience the moms in moms groups are usually older like 30s, and 40s, they also usually are not man minority moms unless you join a race specify group. Also you can check on meetup.com and you can see what groups are in your area or fit your needs.

sunkst
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM
Do you have a zoo in your city? It's summer here pretty much so if we're bored and not running errands, we go to the zoo, the park, up to my husband's office if he's not busy. You could also try a mommy & me group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd

I've been looking for classes or something but we're in a semi-small community so there isn't a lot around. I'll keep looking though.

And we do like taking walks. It's already hot here, but it feels good before 10am and after 6pm. I guess we kind of forgot about our walks. Thanks.

Quoting jillbailey26:

I voted to get a hobby with your daughter.  Look into Mommy & Me classes or something like that.  

You can also just get out and go to a store and walk around.  Not really buy anything, but just go to mosey around and get out.

You can walk around your neighborhood and point out things to your daughter.  Point out flowers, birds, the sky, clouds and all kinds of stuff.  She may not be able to repeat it back to you, but she is taking it all in.

misssy2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM

oh and there are many mommy and me classes, storytimes at libraries, and many malls have a packed play-area with lots of board moms, with babies.

mandjlong

do both options b and c!

tpickle
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Start a daycare business.  You could have just one or two babies to play with your dd and that'd keep you very busy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)