Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your parents or in laws tell you what you can do with your money?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM
  • 40 Replies

Today my husband got an ear full from his Mom about how we hired a maid to catch us up on our housework. I have been sick for the past almost 4 months and in and out of the hospital constantly and on bedrest. My husband is disabled and we have 2 small kids. The house was stressing me out, which makes me and my husband fight a bunch. So I hired someone for a one time cleaning. They are my Moms cleaning maids that she uses on a regular basis.

Anyway, My in laws gamble hundreds of dollars away every year and go on these gambling trips at least 5 to 8 times a year. They just got back Sunday from losing a few hundred!

So how can she tell me how to spend my money? LOL Gambling it away I feel is way more wasteful then what I did.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:25 PM

No one has ever told me what to do with my money,  not even when I was a teenager.  I can't imagine! 

2boys_1girl
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:26 PM

My parents get on me about my financial decisions... but..... I also owe them money and they help me out with bills on occasion.... so I think it is fair when they talk to me about finances.

.kk.
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:27 PM

They try to. LOL

meagan0716
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM
My mom does some times and then ask me for money
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
This . . .

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

No one has ever told me what to do with my money,  not even when I was a teenager.  I can't imagine! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamacam7

They don't tell us what we should do but they make rude comments. Often we just lie to them about what we spend our money on cause its not their business.

pipers_mom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM

They have tried, but they get told real quick like whos money it is! I do not stand for people telling me what I can and can not do with my money, DH sure he has a say, but he is my husband. My mom and my MIL are NOT married to me and they have no say in how our money gets spent.

mommaoftwo
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:31 PM

yep, my mom tells me that I spend all my money on tattoos and hair dye.

Also, Im pregnant, we didn't tell her right away because she told me when I had my last child that I had "one too many". She then goes " so did you tell your grandmother yet?" no, I haven't outright told her " why? are you scared?"  No mom Im not 18 yrs old, Im almost 26 years old it is perfectly fine for me to have another child!

QuickMomma
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Mil tried but I put a stop to that real fast,she knows better now!My mom has never done so as she knows better.

Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM

oh they try. i have to be careful what i mention to my mom sometimes cuz she always has some kind of an opinion about how we spend our money. its none of her business how me and my husband spend our money. but she is always trying to say something. bugs the hell out of me. my in laws sometimes say stuff but not as often. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)