Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will you educate your children about domestic violence?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:44 PM
  • 25 Replies

Poll

Question: I plan to educate my children about domestic violence.

Options:

abso-fricking-lutely

I don't know. Is it that important?

Probably not. What are the chances MY child faces it?

I don't have to say anything to my child. I believe he or she will be 'smart' enough to avoid it without me teaching them about it.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

I have seen a few posts today from young mothers complaining about their husband's behavior. They don't seem to equate their husbands' behavior to domestic violence at all. Listen up, girls: If your husband threatens to physically assault you, making gestures to control your behavior, that is abuse, plain and simple. If he smashes your personal property, that is abuse, plain and simple. You are walking on thin ice. Therapy and domestic violence classes are in order here.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I am appalled that these women didn't seem to have been educated about domestic violence at all!

I made a point of discussing domestic violence with each of my children along with the birds and the bees lectures and drug and alcohol abuse discussions.

Do you plan to educate your own daughters about domestic violence when they are old enough, or do you plan to allow them to potentially find themselves in an abusive relationship?

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sanctimommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

bump

muslimahmommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM

From day one I am going to educate my son and if I have any daughters about their rights and responsibilities from/to a spouse in age appropriate terms, as well as showing them by example what a respectful loving marriage looks like.

citymomch
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM

My husband and I both will. But not just our girls, though they are much more likely to be in such a situation, but our boys as well. 

pipers_mom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM

DH and I will be teaching both DD and DS about DV. It is not just girls that can be abused, boys can too!

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM

You bet I will.  I am teaching all my children they do not have to take abuse from anyone. I am teaching it to my son as well.  I am teaching them to believe in themselves and that they are worth being treated with love and respect. We are teaching them to treat others with love and respect as well.

Sanctimommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Edited to include males. Sorry for the exclusion, I did also educate my son about this issue, along with his sisters.

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM
My son already knows about domestic violence. Sadly he has seen it first hand
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MikeysMom51108
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Unfortunately, even with education, women may still find themselves in an abusive relationship.

My stepmom raised my sister and I to be strong, independent women. She raised us not to take any shit from any man. I am in a relationship with a man who I have no fear of. He has raised his voice to me once in over 5 years, and he has never raised a hand to me. My sister on the other hand has found herself in an extremely abusive relationship. She's been abused, left, and gone back MANY times. She's currently in the middle of a trial because she finally pressed charges and he's facing aggravated assault.

I intend to raise my daughter to be strong and independent. I intend to teach her how a woman should be treated. But, if God forbid she finds herself in an abusive relationship, I pray I have the strength to help her.

Aislinn
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Yes.. It will be along the lines of " If I ever find out you hit a woman, I am going to kick your ass back to the previous Tuesday.."..  Seriously, though, I absolutely will. He already knows hitting ANYONE, especially girls, is a big no no. 

Sirenabella
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I have a hard time with this one. I want to teach my son but his father was abusive and while I want him to understand abuse I also don't want him to remember or to hate his father the way I do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)