Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 1yo is biting bad and alot! any tips on how to stop this?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:05 PM
  • 19 Replies

how do i stop this.... its not the first time but its the first time she has bite her to where she has drawn blood and I will NOT be biting her back! I have poped her... it isnt enough! So how did yall get your little ones to stop biting... if it was from biting them back please post it but i still dont wanna bite her back!

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladyvamp5489
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Have no clue, i bit my kids back just hard enough for them to know it hurts and they only bit the one time after that. I tried popping the mouth,, vinigar, mustard, hot sauce and such nothing worked till then. Good Luck.

army09wife
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I just dont wanna bite her... Im so terrified... i have this in my head if i bite them even if it hurts thats its ok!

army09wife
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:36 PM

bump

lisairv
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:38 PM

I let my son bite himself when he tried to bite me. I never bit back either. He trie to bite me and I put his arm in the way and he bit himself. It worked!

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I'm glad you have chosen to not bite her back. Biting back is barbaric... however, I feel that popping a one year is just as barbaric.

I can sense your frustration (and have been there myself). When she bites you, look at her directly and say "no biting!", then withdraw your attention. If she is biting to get your attention, giving little reaction (other than minimal correction) and withdrawing your attention will do wonders. If she is teething, tell her "no biting" then immediately give her something that she can bite (a teething toy or frozen wash rag). Yes, it takes more time than biting her back - but it will teach her far more in the long run.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Follow my blog at:

http://unexpurgatedmom.blogspot.com/

twisted_charlie
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I had a similar situation with my daughter, I bit her back after she broke the skin. Surely not as hard as she bit me....but it worked. She hasn't bit me since. Have you tried time out?

Good luck.

army09wife
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM

no i have tried that idk if she would sit still lol

Quoting twisted_charlie:

I had a similar situation with my daughter, I bit her back after she broke the skin. Surely not as hard as she bit me....but it worked. She hasn't bit me since. Have you tried time out?

Good luck.

isaiahsmomma86
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM

This!!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm glad you have chosen to not bite her back. Biting back is barbaric... however, I feel that popping a one year is just as barbaric.

I can sense your frustration (and have been there myself). When she bites you, look at her directly and say "no biting!", then withdraw your attention. If she is biting to get your attention, giving little reaction (other than minimal correction) and withdrawing your attention will do wonders. If she is teething, tell her "no biting" then immediately give her something that she can bite (a teething toy or frozen wash rag). Yes, it takes more time than biting her back - but it will teach her far more in the long run.

CafeMom Tickers
SnoBuny
by Platinum Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:46 PM

I have four I have never bit them back. I guess I see that as teaching them that it is okay - they are watching and mimicking everything that we do.
I have done a couple different things. With my 13 mo. old he has only bitten a couple times. I say ow and give him a sad face and keep doing that. His big thing is head butting but we do this and he stops. I teach him what ow is by when he does something like fall, bump his head etc. I say ow and give the sad face then all better happy face and we move on.
Another thing, seperation - if you seperate them then that is a natural consequence - if you play nice we play if not we dont play type thing.
Redirection is also another thing. Ow that hurts, No insert name that hurts then move him into something else. Such as this behavior/thing is bad and we get admonished but this thing is good and we get smiles.
It is tough when they are so young BUT they are smart little creatures and every little one has thier "key" to turn for negative behavior.
If they are doing it out of frustration then you need to help them communicate in other ways. Then it woudl the no/ow routine and show them how to communicate without the frustration. This has to be repetative to catch on.

My baby has only done it a couple times thinking it was funny - goofball.

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Hold her mouth and firmly tell her "no biting." Holding the sides of her mouth will give her the association between your words and the action she has done. If you give a slight squeeze (hard enought to let her know that you mean business, but not hard enough to hurt), she will get it. That's what I did with my son anyways and it worked. I also have used that method for several of my daycare kids and it worked for them as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)