Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ever hire a moving company to pack you up and move you??

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM
  • 6 Replies

I dont see how I am ever going to get us packed for our move this Saturday!  Hubby cant or wont take time off from work, I cannot because I actually need to work overtime to be able to pay down our debt faster (even a quarter weighs heavily so what we have is killing me!) and i work nights and take care of our CLINGY 11 month old daughter in the day, so it is not like I can be up all day packing!  Luckily we are moving to within the same neighborhood so I can move stuff little-by-little but it is not like I can carry a heavy box AND a heavy 11 month old or have the baby around touch up paint fumes!  I also absolutely dread moving and was contemplating hiring movers to just knock it out in one shot but dont know how much that would cost aka additional debt.

Ever hire a moving company?  How much did it cost approximately?  Seeing the limited timeframe that I have, would you recommend just hiring movers??

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JBDslittlemam08
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM
I did the packing of absolutely everything when DH deserted me. I hired movers to move it out and for 2hrs of work, less than 30miles from their base it was $430
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaydensMommy007
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:34 PM

I hired "starving students" (I think thats what it was called) a few years ago. They only put the stuff on the truck, drove it over to the new place, and placed the stuff in the house. I had to do all the packing though

wildflower1980
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM
It just depends on the size of your home and the amount of stuff in it. A guy I dated had his own moving business and I helped with a few jobs. We packed and moved a 5 bedroom home in 2 days and he charged them about $1850. Some movers will give you a free estimate. It can't hurt to find out so you know what your options are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetheart5703
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I hired a mover a couple of years ago. They brought boxes, and I had 3 big guys help me put everything in a box, all the stuff to pack was in one room already by the front door. I was moved from apartment A to apartment B in 1 hour! 

$300.00 

Maybe sounds pricey, but it was quick, fast and easy. I didn't have to do anything other than get all of the stuff in the boxes. 

If you are doing it by yourself, I would get a mover. Seriously. 

Mesha125
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:41 PM

I just dont like people touching my stuff, so I havent. but yeah you dont have much time hun! I hope you can find someone at a fair price. check their reps on yelp so you dont get a bad company

SnapIt
by Movin' on up on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:56 PM

I had them a couple of years ago, but dh job paid for it because it was a location switch for the job. It was from PA to Fl so it was pretty hefty. I had 5 guys come and pack and wrapped everything up on one day and the next day they came back and put the boxes and furniture on the truck and hauled it away. We had 3 stories of house on that truck plus a car they took for us too. I believe it was over 3000 for the whole thing. I hated it because they were all within the house and moving so quickly. I hate anyone touching my stuff and seeing the commotion drove be bats as well as not knowing who they were.

I had stuff that never made it to my new home. It was stolen and not left for sure. I did a sweep and of the entire house so did my husband when they left and didn't see anything. And when they unpacked it was different guys on this end and they broke a few things too. We were reimbursed, but it's not the same when what was broken was given to me by someone years ago. Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)