Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ear infections and it sounds like I'm underwater. Updated

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 12:43 AM
  • 13 Replies

Question for those who have had nasty ear infections as an adult.

How long does it usually take for your hearing to return to normal? The pain stopped on Saturday, but it still sounds like I'm underwater. I also feel  "stuffy" in my ears.

It's rather obnoxious, as I feel strangely isolated from the world. It's odd to have a sense deadened when you're used to relying on it.

Update :I went to the doctor, and both ears are badly infected. One of my ear drums ruptured. I wanted to feel like a kid again, but not in this way. :P

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cymbeline
by Spock's 2nd Cousin on Apr. 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM

BUMP!

Laura1427
by ★Honey Badger★ on Apr. 18, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I have never had an ear infection so I am of no help.

I hope you feel better soon, though!

Sanctimommy
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 1:02 AM

I have had this condition last for as long as a month. It drove me crazy!

ColieO
by I Rock on Apr. 18, 2011 at 1:08 AM
On and off since September. So annoying! Garlic oil helps the pain. Usually the underwater feeling is due to crazy excessive earwax buildup. You can try hydrogen peroxide to try and break up the wax. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest flushing them. I went to a doctor for that. Tmi! They flushed out a bouncy ball sized plug of earwax. I felt soooo much better though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yayay15
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 1:10 AM
Mine has taken a long tine. I haven't had an actual infection in forever but when I do get sick my ears go back to hurting and that underwater feeling and lasts a long time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jella31
by Angela on Apr. 18, 2011 at 1:11 AM
Ugh that sucks I'm sorry. Happens to me all the time and I hate it. I just let it go away on it's own and it took like two months, even after the infection was gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sanctimommy
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 1:12 AM

I had the doctor look at my ear when I had the same condition. There was no wax buildup, but the infection had swelled up an area inside which caused sinus fluid to become trapped inside. She said there was nothing for it but to take ibuprofen and decongestants.

Cymbeline
by Spock's 2nd Cousin on Apr. 18, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Thanks, ladies.

I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow, and am concerned that at least one of my eardrums may have ruptured. I had extreme, claw your face off, pain, followed by a relief of pain and drainage.

I fully understand why babies are inconsolable during an ear infection. They're just pure evil.

Cymbeline
by Spock's 2nd Cousin on Apr. 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM

bump for update

dmez
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM
Oh man, I bet that hurts! I have ear alergies and they drive me crazy. sometimes it causes infections and i have to use ear drops. Crap hope you feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN