Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I knew there would be some kind of cosmic punishment....I am very tired...

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:51 AM
  • 16 Replies

So going against some better judgement we decided to get a puppy today. He took the house really well and seems to love everyone for the get go. So then bed time came. When we first put him the crate at bed time he only really whine for 10-15 minutes then queted down for bed. He slept from 12:30 am to about 4:30 am. He started whining again for I took him out and he went potty and back to the crate he went. Well it has been 20 minutes and he is still whining.

Man he is cute as a bug but boy is it gonna be a long few nights. I am sleeping in the livingroom with him because I don't have the room to put the crate in the bed room. Right now I am waiting on him to quiet down so I can go back to bed. I hope it is soon so I can get a few more hours of sleep.

He is a beagle/dachshund mix and his name is Pickles. My youngest son named him and my husband likes the name.

Thank you TheGreatCthulhu for the siggy!!!!

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilrosebugsmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:55 AM
Cute name! Pickles was my nickname at work, i worked at a burger place, during the onion ring season id use the batter and make fried pickles. Yuuuum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:58 AM

Well he finally quieted down so I am going to try and get some more ZZZs. I wil check this in a few hours.

M.I.A...P.O.W
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Well I some how got 2 1/2 to 3 more hours of sleep. Hopefully this crying at night thing will get better over the next few days...

princessputter
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Enjoy your new puppy!!!!

deek3579
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:06 AM
The first night is the hardest. I hardly got any sleep the first night I got my puppy. It does get easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
b_rod
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:08 AM
Awww! We have a dachshund and he is the best dog in the whole world!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.kitkat.
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Thats one reason why I havent gave in and got a puppy.The dog we have now( rat terrier)we found abandoned and picked him up.There really wasnt any training as far as going outside etc that had to be done.Who ever had him before was mean to him though...it took awhile for him to realize he wasnt gonna get beat.

ShadowLark
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:12 AM

Ok, so I'll say upfront that I don't know a DAMN thing about training dogs.  But I wonder - would it make any sense to curl up on a blanket/sleeping bag WITH the puppy for the first few nights and then gradually teach him that he has to sleep alone?  That way you don't get him in the habit of sleeping in your bed if that will be a no no, but you don't throw him to the wolves with sleeping alone, either.

I mean, think about it.  He was JUST in an entire LITTER of puppies, right?  Tons of warm snuggly bodies all around him all the time, from the time he implanted in the womb to now.  And all of a sudden he has to sleep ALONE?  I'd freak, too!

ShadowLark
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Or maybe just get two puppies at the same time?  That way they comfort each other and you get to sleep in your own bed.  Hmm....

b_rod
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:14 AM
Also, we leave the radio on at night for him and he has his own blanket. Yeah... He's kinda living the life. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)