Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Subchronic Hematoma during pregnancy? (possibly TMI and long)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:40 AM
  • 12 Replies

I know there are a lot more ladies here so i figured I'd ask here. I know it's not drama or anything but please keep this bumped if you don't have an answer so that I can get some help.

Thur night I spent the night in the ER.  I had some brown discharge and cramping on Wed afternoon, but it was just the one time so i didn't go crazy over it. Figured I was just having issues from spending the morning in the bathroom thanks to mild food poisining.  Thur I went to class feeling a bit better but not totally, went to the bathroom and had some pink discharge.  I called the midwife's line and after forever she called me back and told me to go to the ER.  I go in and they checked me, said the bleed was not coming from my cervix... ok.  They did a u/s but didn't like me see it and just had the sound on long enough for me to hear the HB for, like, 5 seconds.    They came in 2 or so hours later and told me baby is measuring behind and that the HB was slow.  I just kinda through it in my head (so I wouldn't freak out) that it was because of the shot of morphine they gave me.    They told me to follow up with the walk in OB the next day and sent me home after doing a blood draw to check my Hcg levels.

So yesterday comes and I go to the doc. He see's me and explains to me exactly what they found yesterday since they didn't really in the ER. I have a subchronic hematoma (which is a blood clot in the placenta, which is what's causing the bleeding I have) but they said the bleeding IS normal so not to freak out over it, so I'm not. They said the baby was measuring 6 wks (the u/s pic says 5wks 6days and I should've been 7wks 3days) and that the heart beat is slow (they didn't give me an exact number but said they like to see 90+ and that 80-90 is worrysome).   He didn't really explain to me wher all the pain I'm having is coming from, though, just that all of this combined raises my chance for miscarriage.    He's ordering me a repeat u/s in 7-10 days (I have to wait for a call back with the date/time) to check and make sure baby is growing and check on the bleed/clot and then, I guess, we'll go from there.

Now, like I said, I'm TRYING to stay positive. I've already rationalized reasons for everything in my head (baby's size, slow HB, ect) but what I want to know is has anyone faced this issue, or any one part or combination of it, and gone on to have a healthy pregnancy/baby?   I'm fully prepared for things to go either way. I know everything happens for a reason and it's all in fates hands right now, but I'd like to know what other's experiences have been.  Thanks ladies.

Pregnancy%20ticker
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Devious103102
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:01 AM

BUMP!

jella31
by Angela on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Hope everything turns out ok! Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NewJoyOn1308
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:06 AM

BUMP!

lady_kira
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Here's what I found online after my U/S yesterday because my doctor told me the additional sac could potentially be a blood clot:

Heidi Murkoff

Blood Clot in the Uterus

"I'm eight weeks pregnant. Recently, after an ultrasound, my doctor told me that I had a uterus blood clot and put me on light duty (no exercising, etc.). He didn't give me any further information, but told me to see him again in two weeks. Should I be worried?"

Isn't it ironic how some of the most joyful moments of modern pregnancy - like catching a glimpse of your budding babe in an early pregnancy ultrasound - can inspire so much angst? Before the days of sophisticated medical imaging, countless women sailed through seemingly perfect pregnancies, producing perfect little people, without ever knowing they had complications like a uterus blood clot. But now you can find out, and so you worry - very often without cause.

Most of the blood clots that turn up on sonograms during the first trimester are what doctors call subchorionic hematomas. In plain English, that means a clump of clotted blood situated between the gestational sac in which your baby is nestled and the wall of your uterus. Uterus blood clots are no different from those anywhere else in the body: They form from coagulated blood cells and proteins. To have one, you must have been bleeding in your uterus at some point, which is much less ominous than it sounds. Small bouts of bleeding are quite common during early pregnancy, and as long as the pregnancy is progressing nicely, you're at no higher risk.

What caused the uterus blood clot? It's hard to be certain. It may have been a ruptured blood vessel, or the placenta may have pulled slightly away from the uterine wall (a condition called a placental abruption). Over time, the clot may be reabsorbed into the uterus, or it may just loiter around harmlessly until your baby is born. On your follow-up visit, your doctor will likely perform another ultrasound to find out.

In the meantime, to be on the safe side, heed your doctor's advice and take it easy. That way, you'll reduce the risk that the uterus blood clot will dislodge and lead to more bleeding. No heavy lifting or straining; no strenuous exercise. Your doctor may also put your pelvis off-limits to vaginal exams (and, sadly, pregnancy sex). Get as much bed rest as possible - consider it a well-deserved breather (brewing a baby is exhausting business!)- and, most importantly, put the worrying on the back burner. 

Here's to enjoying some well-deserved R&R,
annie610
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM

BUMP!

steph2884
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I had bleeding for weeks when I was pregnant with my son, but they never did an ultrasound to find the cause of it. I had a sub. hematoma  with my daughter that showed up on the ultrasound at 11 weeks, but no bleeding from it. It did not cause any complications and her heart rate was normal. I wish the very best for you and hope you get some good news soon.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Devious103102
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM

BUMP!

KLBB1234
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:15 PM
Bump! I am so very sorry you are going through this hun. I wish the best for you and your family! Please keep us posted!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvtohunt
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I have had two of these. You can check out my past posts of them in the group subchorionic hemorrhages if you want. I am wondering why they would give you morphine? I know it hurts to have the pain (i've had 11 miscarriages), but I would never let them give me morphine! Not judging you, but as a nurse I cannot believe they would give that to you unless they new the fate of the baby.

The good news is that if you are having pain and bleeding, but the baby still has a heartbeat that is a good sign. But it would be even more encouraging to have the bay have a faster heart beat. Take it really easy. Good Luck!

Devious103102
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM

I'm not sure why the morphine either, when they said they were going to give me something for the pain I assumed tylenol. They already had an IV in and then a few mins later came back with 2 shots. I asked what they were and they said "well this is zofran for the nausea" and I told her I wasn't nauseous and she said "well it's just in case the morphine makes you nauseous" and I was confused but she had already given me the shot. I asked her how much she gave me and she said it was just 4.5mg, not enough to bother the baby, but I still wasn't happy about it.  When I'm preg I don't like taking anything unless it's absolutely needed, but I guess they figured since I was in tears during the pelvic from the pain, they needed to help take off the edge since I had the pelvic u/s shortly after. I deff didn't ask for it!  

I'll deff look up the posts. Thank you!

Quoting luvtohunt:

I have had two of these. You can check out my past posts of them in the group subchorionic hemorrhages if you want. I am wondering why they would give you morphine? I know it hurts to have the pain (i've had 11 miscarriages), but I would never let them give me morphine! Not judging you, but as a nurse I cannot believe they would give that to you unless they new the fate of the baby.

The good news is that if you are having pain and bleeding, but the baby still has a heartbeat that is a good sign. But it would be even more encouraging to have the bay have a faster heart beat. Take it really easy. Good Luck!

Pregnancy%20ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)