Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I threw them out! (Edited)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM
  • 144 Replies

I want to say that I love my MIL dearly. She is a sweet woman and would never, purposely do anything to offend us.

That being said. I opened the kids Easter package from her to see what was in it before I gave it to them. Just in case there was a lot of candy, so I could ration it. LOL! When I opened it I was horrified.

This is what I found in that package.

and

A bag of Prayer Jelly Beans. That had this written on the bag.(They were also packed with dyes and gluten, which neither of my children can eat)

GREEN is for the grassy blade,        

YELLOW is for the sun God made.

ORANGE's for a flame so bright.

BLACK is for our sins not right.

RED is for the blood He gave.

WHITE is for Jesus grace. He saved.

PURPLE is for the hours of sorrow

PINK is for a new tomorrow.

So, I threw them out! DH and I find them absolutely DISGUSTING and I am more than a little upset that she sent them to my CHILDREN! You can preach at DH and I all you want but LEAVE MY CHILDBREN OUT OF IT!

DH is going to call and tell her that we threw them out before the kids thank her for the cards, organic gummy bears and stickers and sticker books that she sent with the other crap.

Anyone else having to censor this Easter season? 

(We are Atheist. Both our families know and try to convert us. We will allow our children to make the choice when they are old enough to understand and at 5 & 6, they are not old enough yet)

Let's Clarify.

1. I am NOT yelling, arguing, or bitching at my MIL. She is a reasonable person and tries to respect how we raise our children. DH is going to talk to her about it, respectfully, so it doesn't happen again.

2. We are celebrating Spring with the children. MR. Bunny brings stuff to start Spring. A new outfit, sandals, and an outside toy. Which was the original intent of the holiday to begin with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM

frustrated

sunwatermom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM

if you are atheist why are you celebrating easter in the first place?   it is a religious holiday to begin with.

randi1978
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM

That would irritate me.

Those eggs are tacky as hell.  I don't know anyone who would buy something like that, even if they were overly religious. 

poshkat
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM

my MIL has those, i found them fascinating and I'm Jewish. you don't have to do them, just tell her thank you, and put them away.

MissLeanna
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Well, many atheists skip the religious part of it, and just celebrate the giant bunny and time with family.

Quoting sunwatermom:

if you are atheist why are you celebrating easter in the first place?   it is a religious holiday to begin with.

mes_deux_amours
No I don't have to censor. My family akso knows not to send that type of propaganda to my family.

Its good though your husband will let her know about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jordansmomma06

Er..We believe in God. So We would not have been so offended, BUT I see where you are coming from. that was a little rude. and she should have respected you and your DH. and to send stuff to them that they couldn't even eat..well that was just mean and I would look at it like she was teasing them with it. I don't blame you for throwing them out.

We too go thru all the stuff the kids get, but so we could control their sugar intake.lol.

jillbailey26

Quoting sunwatermom:

The commercialized Easter isn't.  It's about the bunny, candy and finding eggs.

Hell, I'm Christian and I wouldn't even want that stuff.  I think she definitely crossed a line.

For the record, 5 & 6 is old enough to understand and start learning about different faiths (not religion, FAITH).  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

mes_deux_amours
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM
What part of Easter baskets, bunnies and candy have to do with religion?

Quoting sunwatermom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pearlena
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Not everyone celebrates holidays for the religious side of them anymore. The Easter Bunny didn't come from religious nor did Santa Clause. Probably the same reason all Christian I know (meaning I personally know) celebrate Halloween. That's not a Chrisitian holiday, but it's a socially celebrated holiday.

Quoting sunwatermom:

I WRITE stories. I am a GAMER. And I fail at BLOGGING.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)