Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question for the Christian ladies...no bashing! *EDIT another ?*

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:13 PM
  • 12 Replies

I was born and raised Church of Christ and I have a question for the ladies that believe in being saved...what does it mean? I believe that when you are ready to become a follower of Christ that you are washed clean of your sins through baptism. I dont quite understand the concept of just accepting Jesus into your heart and being saved...can someone please explain this to me? And please no bashing

I also know that this comes from Romans 10:9

So I do think that Salvation is something that is between a person and God and no one else but having said that what about bible verses like Mark 16:16 that say:

"Whoever believes and is bapitized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rowdys.Mommy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM

bump...seriously why doesn't anyone ever reply to my posts...

tpickle
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Jesus told Nicodemus, "You must be born again" to enter the kingdom of heaven.  A personal relationship with Jesus Christ is my definition of being saved.  We are called to not just know about Him, but to know Him personally. 

C8linVilla
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM

I always thougt you had to be saved(baptisim) as well as speak in tounges? or does not every church do that?

But since alot of parents get there kids done at birth or young i dont know how that works since they are not old enough to understand it. Thats just my thinking though. sorry im no help

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Quoting tpickle:

Jesus told Nicodemus, "You must be born again" to enter the kingdom of heaven.  A personal relationship with Jesus Christ is my definition of being saved.  We are called to not just know about Him, but to know Him personally. 

Pretty much.  You believe in who He is and what He's done and accept that with all of your might.  

The baptism is actually an outer show if your inner faith.  You accept Jesus and repent your sins, essentially wiping the slate clean.  So you ask to be baptized to physically show that slate being wiped clean.

(as far as I believe, lol)

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

jillbailey26
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Quoting C8linVilla:

I always thougt you had to be saved(baptisim) as well as speak in tounges? or does not every church do that?

But since alot of parents get there kids done at birth or young i dont know how that works since they are not old enough to understand it. Thats just my thinking though. sorry im no help

Not every church speaks in tongues.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Rowdys.Mommy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Right and John 3:5 says "Jesus answered, 'I assure you: unless womeone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

I understand that we must know Jesus on that intimate level but isn't baptism a big part of that?

Quoting tpickle:

Rowdys.Mommy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I was baptised when I felt like I was ready to start my walk with the Lord, when I felt like I understood. I dont understand the baptising babies thing either.

I've studied the speaking in 8u2q

Quoting C8linVilla:

Rowdys.Mommy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

I was baptised when I felt like I was ready to start my walk with the Lord, when I felt like I understood. I dont understand the baptising babies thing either.

I've studied the speaking in tongues and I do not do that either.

Quoting C8linVilla:

dhiannian
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM

This, You must be born again. Nothing you can do will ever save  you, only putting your faith in the finished work that Christ did on the cross. He died that we might have life. You see we cannot save ourselves, baptism cannot save us, the only thing that can save is the same thing that has saved thoughout history, and that is faith in Jesus Christ. First we must realize our sinful state, and our need of a saviour (huble ourselves), then  we must make the move toward Christ and receive the free gift that He paid for. I'm including a  site that explains it with verses.

This is taken from the site http://kjv1611.org.uk/God's%20plan%20of%20Salvation.htm

What is salvation?

Salvation is the free gift of eternal life that is made possible only through Jesus Christ. John 3:16-17 KJV states, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." The apostle Paul tells us in Romans 6:23 KJV, "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Salvation is not limited to any denomination, race, gender, or age, but it is available for everyone"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Romans 10:13 KJV).

Quoting tpickle:

dhiannian
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:33 PM

This verse you are referring to is talking about physical birth (Of water) And Spiritual birth (Of the Spirit) By taking the bible as a whole you will see that baptism could not have been what saved, or else Noah, Abraham, David, and all of the other mighty men in the old testament were not saved, and therefore are in hell right now. Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He does not change, it has always been salvation BY FAITH and it will continue to be until the Lord returns. 

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

Right and John 3:5 says "Jesus answered, 'I assure you: unless womeone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."

I understand that we must know Jesus on that intimate level but isn't baptism a big part of that?

Quoting tpickle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)