Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about PA (not drama, I promise..lol)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM
  • 30 Replies

My mom lives over 3 1/2 hours away from me. She has been having lots of trouble with her foot recently. She is having a really hard time working. When she stands for long periods of time her foot will swell a lot and hurt so bad that she can hardly walk. She thinks that it is a side effect of her diabetes (at least that's what her doctor told her the last time she talked to him about it..but it's much worse now than it was then..).

She is thinking that she may have to quit work. I'm not sure if she can apply for disability...I know nothing about how that works. I told her she could come live with us, and we would help her any way we could.

My question is...if she lives with us, would she qualify for food stamps or anything? It would be financially hard on us to have her live with us if she doesn't have any income at all. Even if she could just get food stamps that would be a huge help. Also does anyone know how disability works? Would she qualify for something like this?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I know nothing about any of this. LOL

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1busymomma03
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM

BUMP!

KLBB1234
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:24 PM
All she can do if try. It never hurts to try! I do know that if dhe goes for disabilities that they always deny you the first time because they only want people who really need it, so you will have to fight the denial. If you fight it they usually except you. It is time consuming as well! Good luck to you and your family!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ctfirsttimemom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I have no clue but here's a bump!  I'd hope something works out for her!

texassahm
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Why not call the office where they distribute/approve food stamps and ask them?

Crashly
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM

my dh's mother got ssi disability due to her diabetes. she got fs and all.

1busymomma03
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I could do that, but it's a Saturday and they are closed. I thought I would just ask here instead. LOL

Quoting texassahm:

Why not call the office where they distribute/approve food stamps and ask them?

Nee86
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM
Start making calls and asking. A lot of times the state wants to see that her doctor say she can no longer work. There are a lot of programs that may help.
1busymomma03
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:32 PM

She said she has heard that it's a huge hassle to get disability. I just feel so bad for her. She is in pain every single day. She can't afford to cut back on her hours either..she is barely making it as it is. :(  I just really hope that she does decide to move here with us. I hate that she has to work so hard and put herself in pain.

Quoting KLBB1234:

All she can do if try. It never hurts to try! I do know that if dhe goes for disabilities that they always deny you the first time because they only want people who really need it, so you will have to fight the denial. If you fight it they usually except you. It is time consuming as well! Good luck to you and your family!

1busymomma03
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM

What complications was she having from her diabetes?

Quoting Crashly:

my dh's mother got ssi disability due to her diabetes. she got fs and all.

MommySteph06
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM
Depends on how much you guys make. You would have to be included on her application for fs.
I don't know about disability. I heard a lot of people get denied the first time and you just have to appeal and then you'll get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)