Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ten % discount because your a lesbian

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM
  • 15 Replies

'The gay males get upset': New York maternity store offers new mothers 10 per cent discount... but only if they're lesbians

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:04 PM on 23rd April 2011

New mothers in Brooklyn's desirable Park Slope neighbourhood will be delighted to hear they can get 10 per cent off at their local maternity store.

But there's one condition - they have to be lesbians.

The owner of Boing Boing breastfeeding and baby store is offering same-sex female couples the exclusive 'hardship' discount because she says they earn less than men.

Controversial discount: Store owner Karen Paperno says she doesn't care if the offer is politically incorrect - but some gay men have complained

Controversial discount: Store owner Karen Paperno says she doesn't care if the offer is politically incorrect - but some gay men have complained

Karen Paperno started the promotion three months ago, and said she doesn't care if people think it's politically incorrect.

She said most shoppers are 'tickled' by the offer, displayed on a gold plaque behind the till at the Brooklyn shop, but some gay men have taken offence.

Mrs Paperno - who is straight -  told the New York Daily News: 'My heart goes out to lesbian moms.

'Women still only make 77 cents on the dollar, compared to men. Financially, women have a much harder time of it.'

She opened the shop in Brooklyn's exclusive Park Slope neighbourhood 15 years ago, and said she started the discount in part as a tribute to the area's sapphic roots.

'Hardship' offer: Lesbian mothers can get 10 per cent off all stock at Boing Boing - because its owner says they earn less than men

'Hardship' offer: Lesbian mothers can get 10 per cent off all stock at Boing Boing - because its owner says they earn less than men

She told the Brokelyn blog: 'My first day here I saw a big pin on the sidewalk for the Lesbian Herstory Archives and I thought, "what a cool neighbourhood".'

Lesbian couples can enjoy the discount across the store's range of breastfeeding accessories and baby clothes.

The offer gets about one taker a day, and customers don't have to prove their sexuality - although Mrs Paperno said  little 'experimenting in college' doesn't count.

As far as she knows, no straight couples have tried to get in on the reduction yet. She said: 'This neighbourhood is way too honest.'

Cheaper for some: Lesbian mothers can get 10 per cent off the breastfeeding equipment and baby clothes on sale at Boing Boing

Cheaper for some: Lesbian mothers can get 10 per cent off the breastfeeding equipment and baby clothes on sale at Boing Boing

The overwhelming reaction has been positive, but some customers have looked at the placard 'questioningly', she said.

She told Brokelyn: 'The lesbians love it and the gay males get upset. But their disposable income is so much higher than women’s. Men just make more than women.'

As far as she is concerned, she isn't breaking any anti-discrimination laws, and says the offer is no different from the hardship discounts she has offered needy couples in the past.

She told the New York Daily News: 'It's not politically correct, but neither am I. Never have been, never will be.

'This is my store, and I can choose to do this discount for the people who need it most.'

... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and
thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an
interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it?
In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me
in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky
and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and
smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise.
Douglas Adams

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unique_puzzle
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Makes more sense to give the discount to SINGLE moms.  JMHO

Rachie7987
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Personally, if she wants to give a discount to lesbians, go for it! I could care less.

But I don't understand her logic. Her reason for the discount is "Females makes less than males", and I understand that, but both hetero and lesbian females fit into this category.

Meh, to each their own. Good for her for doing some sort of discount to somebody. :)

blessed107
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Bump

GonnaBMom
by Miss.Fortune on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I have to agree with this..

Quoting unique_puzzle:

Makes more sense to give the discount to SINGLE moms.  JMHO

acaisha
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM

sort of seemed weird to me too... I mean single moms or teen moms would definitely benefit more imo but there are a lot of low income families too

MultiPara

Why just lesbians? what about single moms?

P.V.Hawkwind

Quoting acaisha:

sort of seemed weird to me too... I mean single moms or teen moms would definitely benefit more imo but there are a lot of low income families too

Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM

i couldn't care less. but just out of curiosity, i'm bi so...what does that mean for me? or do you have to be with another woman? anywho, that store looks like shit anyway. i wouldn't shop there.

Allebas
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

WHATEVER!!!!

acaisha
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Quoting Mamie_85:

i couldn't care less. but just out of curiosity, i'm bi so...what does that mean for me? or do you have to be with another woman? anywho, that store looks like shit anyway. i wouldn't shop there.

you only get 5%

... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and
thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an
interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it?
In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me
in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky
and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and
smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise.
Douglas Adams

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)