Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you had a disease that would likely pass to your children, would you choose to have children?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM
  • 16 Replies

Poll

Question: If you had a disease that would likely pass to your children, would you choose to have children?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

If you had a disease that passes to your off spring (or is very likely to pass to your children) which is horrible and lowers life expectancy to the age of 30, would you choose to have children, or, would you think it is irresponsible?

I'm asking because I was thinking about these sisters on America's Got Talent that had a terminal lung disease.  Their parents "passed" it through to them, and they weren'texpected to live pass the age of 30, the parents knew the risk but choose to have children anyway.  The disease is horrible and painful.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywife2009101
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I saw them and when they said that I was like....why? why would you do that.

i voted no.

momofhnd
by Nugget Nabber on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM

NO I wouldnt I would have my tubes tied so that it wouldnt accidently happen..

SammiBaby
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Absolutely not. Under those circumstances there is no amount of money in the world that could convince me to do it either.

lovinlife13
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM
No I couldnt do it, why purposely have a child that will suffer from a terrible disease IMO it's selfish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C8linVilla
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Im not sure. Since im not in that situation ican not honestly say. But my guess is adoption! i would adopt kids instead of having my own. but again i dont honestly know for 100%

sherry132
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:33 PM

I chose to have children. I chose to also live. I'll be forty this year. So yes, with my genetic disease that could cost my life any day since I was five, I chose to have children. Neither of them got my disease.

I was told I would not make it to school. Then not to the age of 13, then it was 18, then it was 25. I finally told my doctor to shut the hell up.

.betty.white.
by bilf on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM

:)  Although the kids were beautiful and amazing, I can't imagine sentencing my children to a life of pain and death.  So, I'd say no.

Momof2Stepof3
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Well I didn't know I had a disease that could be past to my kids but if I had known I may of taken the risk but some times disease don't pass doctors only know so much.

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM

No.

Having a son with a lung disorder I can firmly say that if I knew there was a way to prevent the same from happening with another child, I would take it (ie not having any more children). Our son's was a random defect (not hereditary), but it still makes us hesitate in the decision to have any more children... just seeing what he has gone through... what we have all gone through.

If I knew that I were a carrier to a similar disorder/illness, I would not have any more children.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

Follow my blog at:

http://unexpurgatedmom.blogspot.com/

FranksHoney
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I honestly don't know. My friend has CF and is pregnant with her second child. Her first son has it as well, and the new baby will probably get it too. I just feel that she is being irresposible. Her son has been on medication his entire life, and will most likely not like past 30. I find it very sad. Luckily I don't have to make that kind of decision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)