Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HUBBY got me a 12 wk old BOXER for our 9 yr together anniver. thurs. NEED ADVICE

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM
  • 37 Replies

1. I need to advice on the aspect of chewing.  we got dexter( puppies name) chew toys and bones.  but he has still gotten into my shoes rug and my sons toys.   he is still a  puppy when can he understand no chewing on moms high heels. 

2. This is my first puppy.. how do I get him to come when I can call him.. will that take MONTHS

3.To be honest Im afraid of big dogs but this will be my big dog.  ANY advice on BOXERS

4. humane ways (no hitting) of getting the dog to listen

5. And last but no least.   my 8 yr chihuaha is very jeolous. any advice on helping her.

THANK U LADIES.  IM OPENING TO ANYTHING !

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
briansmommy7143
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I don't know because I was little when we got ours, but we had two Boxers growing up and they were FANTASTIC dogs!! Congrats! Is he a fawn or brindle?

Rydersmommy616
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM

BUMP!

Rydersmommy616
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Whats fawn or brindle. ? he is short hair and my dh thinks he might end up around 65 pd..

FDNYwife
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Hmm the only thing I can say is I grew up with 2 friends having boxers.  1 was so hyper it was hysterical.  The other was the sweetest calmest lovey dovey!  I thought about getting one but I couldnt stand the butt stamp thing LMAO.  In order to train our pets we just give them love and attention, praise etc.  We have also in the past used treats :)  Just remember patience :)  Youre going to need it!

FDNYwife
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:44 PM

colors.  What color is he? I love brindle.  We had a brindle whippet/greyhound and she was beautiful!

Quoting Rydersmommy616:

Whats fawn or brindle. ? he is short hair and my dh thinks he might end up around 65 pd..

P.V.Hawkwind
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I want a boxer. Idk about the training questions I never had a dog before.

momma_2_three
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Oh lord...Okay. First, you need to treat him like a baby. Keep him in your sight at all times. He doesn't know any better so he will chew on anything and everything and pee and poop wherever.

His name- Whenever you talk to him make sure you use his name. Give it about a week or two, he'll catch on.

Boxers are very high energy, your going to want to walk him atleast a mile a day.  A bored dog will misbehave which includes, chewing incessive barking and any other naughtyness you can imagine.

Newspaper or a can with rocks is good, you want to use a Stern voice when redirecting and only when you mean business.

It will take a while and your chi may not get over not being the only dog in the house. Give it time and make sure you still have special time with you chi too. Just like you would if you brought a new sibling home.

Fawn in a red color and brindle is a dark looking marble.

Good luck :)

rainmommy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM

discipline him like you would a child use a crate as a time out spot when you find him chewing on a shoe scold him hes chewing because his baby teeth hurt so keep offering chew toys, also a bord puppy will chew more give lots of exhausting exercise get him really tired and he wont chew on things a fawn is like a cream color a brindle is a darker color with like tire Marks through his hair sorry i dont know how to explain it any other way that you could understand if you can post pics that would help

roseberrymatrix
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Getting the chew toy that you can hide a treat inside might help redirect his need to chew.

Rydersmommy616
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Thanks mom to three.  I know he feels like a having a baby. right now he is under the computer desk:) a week or two for him to catch on to his name isnt to long.  we have a huge yard and my smaller dog has been playing with him ( when she is not being bitch and jeolous)  .LOL.  I was just thinking i might end up  losing weight bc how much walking he will need.   A can rocks is a great idea.  I will def try that .  THANK U FOR YOUR ADVICE.  !!  I laughed when I read oh lord.   ha ha

Quoting momma_2_three:

Oh lord...Okay. First, you need to treat him like a baby. Keep him in your sight at all times. He doesn't know any better so he will chew on anything and everything and pee and poop wherever.

His name- Whenever you talk to him make sure you use his name. Give it about a week or two, he'll catch on.

Boxers are very high energy, your going to want to walk him atleast a mile a day.  A bored dog will misbehave which includes, chewing incessive barking and any other naughtyness you can imagine.

Newspaper or a can with rocks is good, you want to use a Stern voice when redirecting and only when you mean business.

It will take a while and your chi may not get over not being the only dog in the house. Give it time and make sure you still have special time with you chi too. Just like you would if you brought a new sibling home.

Fawn in a red color and brindle is a dark looking marble.

Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)