Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ordained ministers

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM
  • 16 Replies

Can just anyone become one? And is it regulated by the state or federal government at all? I am guess under an organized church one might but if not how.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:39 PM

You can be ordained online for a fee no schooling or anything.  I am a snob though.  Since my dad went to seminary and college to become a minister i don't consider those who do it online real ones.

gardenmom571
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Not that I want to be one. I was told that an old class mate is one. I thought like your dad that it was something that was studied. With finding out some people have become one in  short periods of time . I wondered what was required  to claim to be one. Who is recognizing these people as ministers.

gardenmom571
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM

BUMP!

AngeLnChainZ
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:53 PM

My ex and his brother both became "Ordained" online and yes it is recognized and legal. My exes brother married him & his wife.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I have 3 brothers that are my cousins. One got married and the other two became ordained online and officiated at his wedding ceremony! Fully reconized by the state!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

Neelah
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Anyone can become one!!!! Go here, to register under the Universal Life Church....they welcome all religions. Once you are registered with them, (it's free!) you are an ordained minister or whatever religion or specific belief you wish to associate with. After that, you register with your county or state (not expensive, it was like $30 when I looked into it) and then you are free to perfom weddings, funerals, etc.

http://www.universallifechurch.org/

bjdmom
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:58 PM
Your brothers are also your cousins?

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I have 3 brothers that are my cousins. One got married and the other two became ordained online and officiated at his wedding ceremony! Fully reconized by the state!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Neelah
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM

A lot of people who don't attend a specific church or don't have a specific religion want a friend or family member, someone important to them, to officiate the ceremony. Some people do it for a bit of extra income, performing simple or themed weddings, for those who don't want a traditional church wedding with a traditional church minister.

Quoting gardenmom571:

Not that I want to be one. I was told that an old class mate is one. I thought like your dad that it was something that was studied. With finding out some people have become one in  short periods of time . I wondered what was required  to claim to be one. Who is recognizing these people as ministers.

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Quoting gardenmom571:

Most churches won't reconize it. My dad is an Ordained preist. He has is Masters Degree in Divinity and went to Seminary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? 

"Oppression of spirit is not on the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators, multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

mamak57
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:12 PM

depends on the church. Universal life church will ordain anyone who submits the fees. They have no set dogma so anything goes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)