Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

THIS is why I don't "mind my own business"!!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM
  • 148 Replies

I went to get my hair done today and I ONLY go to this salon to my stylist. Even when I live states away, I refuse to allow anyone else to touch my hair.....(not the point of the story). Everything about this salon is wonderful. My stylist and the other personnel, including the owner.

Well, I went in and saw a pink wreath on the salon door. I thought it was for Easter. Someone was coming out of the door as I walked in and I didn't really see it. Then, I look at the front counter and see pink message bracelets and a sign that said "Accepting Donations for (Owners name) daughter-Jada"......OH SHIT!

I asked my stylist what had happened. Apparantly, she had drowned in a pool. She was 3 years old.

DCF if investigating the matter, as they should.

Basically what had happened was (owner) and her family (brothers, sisters, parents, etc...) went to a hotel on the beach for a mini vacation. Well (owner) was in the process of checking out of the hotel and she left her daughter in charge with her sister(s) while they took her swimming in the pool. The little girl wanted to get out of the pool and hold an infant, so the aunt(s) *Sorry I can't remember if she told me one or two Aunts.* took her pool swimmy arms off so she could. During this time SOMETHING happened and I don't know what exactly. Aparantly, no one ended up watching the little girl after she got out of the pool and one relative thought the other relative was watching the baby girl, the other relative thought her mom had her and no one really took any cause in it since "someone else had her".

Well, they all meet in the lobby and no one has the little girl. They find her in the pool. She had been there about 10-15 minutes. She apparantly dropped her binkie in the pool and tried to retrieve it.

This is where my title comes into play................

The pool was PACKED WITH PEOPLE!!!!!

I'm not sure if anyone else is like this but I'm always around of my surroundings and the people in them. I keep to myself but am ALWAYS aware especially at a place signifcant incidents can occur. Maybe it's my EMS background, I don't know.

First off, how does ANYONE leave a pool knowing they were attending to a child without making sure SOMEONE had that child, for sure?

Secondly, how does anyone NOT notice a child floating in a pool for 10 minutes?????????

If I'm at a public pool or the beach, I'm always scanning the pool, beach, whatever just to make sure everything is aye-okay. It's just habit, for me.

I'm just baffled that NO ONE in that entire pool area took two seconds out of their time to even look twice at a random toddler, closely going around a pool with NO FLOATIES ON!! That's a huge red flag to me, if I'm at a place like a public pool. My eye would be on that child the entire time until I saw an adult taking care of her or watching her fully.

And this is why I will continue to be "in your business" and watch your children (not stalker/pedo style).

I had a some-what similar situation happen a few years ago when my son was just over a year old. We were at the public pool on base and there were a group of "mothers", if you could call them that just shootin' shit with each other while their children, all very young ages, none above 3 were swimming in the kiddie pool. To any NORMAL parent, we all know that even a kiddie pool could even make US drown let alone a child who doesn't know how to swim anyways!!

Well, I had just gotten out of the pool with my DS and was drying him off and was facing the pool while I was drying him off. I saw out of the corner of my eye something floating in the pool. I looked and it was one of the kids that had been playing not even a minute prior. None of the kids did anything because they are children and didn't understand and were wrapped up in their game. It felt like an hour but it was 2 seconds but I looked over and instinct came to play and I picked up DS; towel and all and jumped back into the pool and pull the child up by his arm. I guess me screaming "OH MY GOD!" kind of drew the attention of this childs mom......WHO'S BACK WAS TURNED TO THE POOL along with another mom. The only mom facing the pool, her view was blocked by the other two.....and of course she jumped up and said "OMG MY BABY!"

THANKFULLY, the baby took an immediate breath and was totally fine. They refused for me to call 911 to have him checked out. He couldn't have been face down for more than 30 seconds but the sight of him floating still gets me to this day. I informed them about something called dry drowning and they still refused him to be checked. Yeah, probably because they'd been drinking!!!!

That shook me to the core since and I am uber helicopter mom when DS is in any type of water. I am very pro swimming lessons starting at birth. My DS hasn't had formal lessons but I'm looking into it. However, we have been to the pool nearly every day that it's been applicable (we live in the south so it's pretty much from April to October), even if it's in a baby pool or the bathtub. He has been swimming (with floaties or my assistance) since he was a year old. He's a strong swimmer however, I still would NEVER leave him near water without floaties on....he's 2; not 18.

So the morale to this story, please watch your children and at least take 2 seconds out of your life and scan your surrounding areas for any danger of other children. It really does take a village to raise a child. If ONE person would have stopped for a second, this girl could have been saved.

Here is the link to the story. If you'd like to donate to her parents for funeral costs and other arrangments I will give you where you need to send any or if you'd like to purchase a cause bracelet please PM me.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mostpopular/story/3-year-old-girl-dies-days-after-falling-into-pool/jokAE4e5p0qa_HHAWJNLOQ.cspx

CLICK THE PICTURE!!!!!

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
b_rod
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM
Awwww thank you for posting this. Poor little baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IanAndMillasMom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM

That is so sad!  And so scary!  Praying for her.  Poor thing.  And you're right.  I try also to keep an eye on things in a public place.  You just never know what could happen..

JBDslittlemam08
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:48 PM

No problem. Stuff like this breaks my heart!

Quoting b_rod:

Awwww thank you for posting this. Poor little baby.

CLICK THE PICTURE!!!!!

peytonsmommy44
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:50 PM
:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessed107
by Ruby Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:51 PM

Poor baby:(

Laura1427
by ★Honey Badger★ on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry for her loss.

I agree with you, OP. I will be "in your business" when a child's life is at stake. Period. If you don't like it, get over yourself.

This whole post just makes me so sad. :-(

moonorchid84
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Ugh, poor baby. Your right, if it was a crowded pool I hope all the people there are ashamed of themselves. When I'm out and about, and I see children, ESPECIALLY children who look alone, I always keep an eye on them till I either see an adult with them or I go find their adult. 

If we all just looked out for one another, a lot of pointless deaths would be avoided. 

jnsdrf
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Wow that is so sad and scary!!! I am just like you! I am always aware of what's going on at the pools even if they have life guards! Thank you for posting this...

star33
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM
I Agree.if I think u aren't watching ur kids,i try.not at the risk of my own,but u get the idea.everyone gets distracted,esp. If u have more than 1.

Quoting IanAndMillasMom:

That is so sad!  And so scary!  Praying for her.  Poor thing.  And you're right.  I try also to keep an eye on things in a public place.  You just never know what could happen..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:58 PM
I am also always aware of my surroundings and the people in them. I hate to hear news like this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)