Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Deer Valley Modular/Mobile Homes

Posted by on May. 1, 2011 at 12:25 AM
  • 52 Replies

We are looking into purchasing a Deer Valley modular or mobile home. Anyone own one and what are your thoughts on them? Are they worth the money and have you had a good or bad experience? Post your reviews here!

by on May. 1, 2011 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shaynas_Mommy
by Country Sweetheart on May. 1, 2011 at 12:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I have never heard of them, but I would not buy any modular or mobile home.

WardosWifey
by on May. 1, 2011 at 12:28 AM

BUMP!

roxy85
by on May. 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Do you already own land to move it to? Don't know much about them. Got to watch my neighbor's modular get moved up the street in pieces. It was cool and the house is still standing several years later...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheshireCat420
by on May. 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM
We were looking at Deer Valley homes before we bought our house. They have some really nice homes. Very spacious and looked well built. If we had bought land like we originally wanted we would have gotten one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MikaylasMom623
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM

I would love to buy a "real" house, but the prices here are pretty high and we are only approved up to $120,000. I can't find a single home in that price range around here. We are putting it on my mother in laws land.

Shaynas_Mommy
by Country Sweetheart on May. 1, 2011 at 12:43 AM

They are real houses. I just said that I would not buy one because they depreciate greatly, and they are not safe for severe weather. I'm not sure where you live, but we get tornadoes here, and I wouldn't want to have to worry about trying to find shelter in a ditch somewhere. We actually own a mobile home on our land that we rent out, but DH bought it long before I ever came along. If I were you, I would wait until you could save some more money, or get approved for a higher amount. They can also be hard to resell for the points I have made.

Quoting MikaylasMom623:

I would love to buy a "real" house, but the prices here are pretty high and we are only approved up to $120,000. I can't find a single home in that price range around here. We are putting it on my mother in laws land.

MikaylasMom623
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2011 at 12:48 AM

We don't get tornadoes here, but we do get hurricanes. I really want to buy a traditional home and I would wait, but with another baby on the way I need the space. I can't stay in my current home any longer. I'm bursting at the seams. Don't have many other options right now. :(

Quoting Shaynas_Mommy:

They are real houses. I just said that I would not buy one because they depreciate greatly, and they are not safe for severe weather. I'm not sure where you live, but we get tornadoes here, and I wouldn't want to have to worry about trying to find shelter in a ditch somewhere. We actually own a mobile home on our land that we rent out, but DH bought it long before I ever came along. If I were you, I would wait until you could save some more money, or get approved for a higher amount. They can also be hard to resell for the points I have made.

Quoting MikaylasMom623:

Shaynas_Mommy
by Country Sweetheart on May. 1, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I understand that. We lived in the trailer that I mentioned on this property for 2 years while his mom was still alive. When she passed away, we gutted and remodeled this house (which was hers) and made it our own. The trailer was 4 bedrooms, but it lacked serious closet space and overall square footage. Have you considered buying a fixer-upper? It says you live in Louisiana on your profile, and I never thought the cost of living was that high there.

Quoting MikaylasMom623:

We don't get tornadoes here, but we do get hurricanes. I really want to buy a traditional home and I would wait, but with another baby on the way I need the space. I can't stay in my current home any longer. I'm bursting at the seams. Don't have many other options right now. :(

Quoting Shaynas_Mommy:

Quoting MikaylasMom623:

Shaynas_Mommy
by Country Sweetheart on May. 1, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I went to their website. One thing I would recommend is to definitely get one that is on foundation, opposed to just skirting. It will make the house more stable. Plus, skirting is easily ripped off by wind, and torn up by weed eaters. It's not cheap to replace either. Is their one that you are specifically at?

MikaylasMom623
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I live on the outskirts of Baton Rouge. It's not like CA or the northeast, but compared to our surrunding states it's alot higher. Plus, I live in a rapidly growing area and housing prices have skyrocketed over the last few years. Especially after Hurricane Katrina. I would buy a fixer upper, but they don't have ANY in the $120,000 range and i'm not willing to live in a bad neighborhood with lots of crime. Another problem with my area is that the turnover rate is very low. Mostly everything for sale is new construction that I can't afford. Very few older homes come up for sale because people are holding on to them.

Quoting Shaynas_Mommy:

I understand that. We lived in the trailer that I mentioned on this property for 2 years while his mom was still alive. When she passed away, we gutted and remodeled this house (which was hers) and made it our own. The trailer was 4 bedrooms, but it lacked serious closet space and overall square footage. Have you considered buying a fixer-upper? It says you live in Louisiana on your profile, and I never thought the cost of living was that high there.

Quoting MikaylasMom623:

Quoting Shaynas_Mommy:

Quoting MikaylasMom623:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)