Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

160$ in groceries for 16$!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:06 AM
  • 8 Replies

DF and I went on our own mini "extreme couponing" extravaganza....harris teeter is tripling all coupons up to 99cents all week long.

We got some REALLY good deals, but we probably wont do it again.  Most of this stuff is not the kind of foods that I would normally buy.  We are normally very big on whole foods, nothing processed, etc.  But we are having a big bbq next month for DD's birthday, so we will use the snacks and chili and stuff then.  the hamburger helper is going to a friend of mine whos husband just lost her job.

Everything in the picture below, plus 4 packs of hot dogs, 2 big boxes of supersoft frozen pretzels, and a big tub of frozen chocolate eclairs that were already in the freezer, all for 16$.

I was MOST excited about the coupons for the toothpaste (the coupons made it FREE plus it was b1g1 so I got TWO free boxes, and the john frieda hair products....i LOVE the root awakening series!

I'll probably continue to clip coupons on a limited basis, but Theres not many out there for stuff we regularly eat....booooo

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bayliesmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I have never heard of Harris Teeter.. :( Boo!

LiznShelk
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Good job! I'm glad you admit that coupons generally only get you processed junk instead of healthy options. Most coupon people seem to buy things they don't really even use which makes couponing seem pointless.

midnightdahlia
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:08 AM

As you said, not something you would usually buy. Me neither, that's why coupons end up being a huge pain.
Great job though :) 

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 21, 2011 at 12:09 AM

That's fabulous!  There's Harris Teeter in my hometown, but none here :(

ojac
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM
Hell, I would do it for the Nature Valley Granola bars, we could send our kid to college with what we have spent on those
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krista778
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Yeah coupons are mostly for junk. Things I don't buy so coupning is a waste of time I've found lol. I'm glad you got your bbq stuff for cheap :-)

supermomma21
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Quoting LiznShelk:

Good job! I'm glad you admit that coupons generally only get you processed junk instead of healthy options. Most coupon people seem to buy things they don't really even use which makes couponing seem pointless.

Yeah it can be a little frustrating.  We eat a lot of fresh meat, veggies etc....so far I have found that coupons are great for health/beauty/cleaning items, condiments, seasonings, and doggie treats:-)

The chili, hot dogs, buns, eclairs, and all the snack-foods will be great for DD's party, esp bc we're looking to save money right now, we're going on a trip RIGHT after DD's birthday.  And the hamburger helper was an afterthought, I didnt realize I even had a coupon for it but it was free after the discounts so im sure my friend will be very happy to have it, they have two young kids and things are super tight for them.

But seriously, for the NON food items, and for the condiments and seasonings and stuff, coupons are AWESOME.  But I wont be buying 114 bottles of excedrine PM or 28 bottles of bleach.  Those people remind me of hoarders.

supermomma21
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Quoting ojac:

Hell, I would do it for the Nature Valley Granola bars, we could send our kid to college with what we have spent on those

Right?  and the cheerios.  DD LOVES her some cheerios, and oatmeal lol.....Ive got more cheerios coupons and some oatmeal ones i'm going to use tomorrow, you can only use 20 coupons per household per day at HT....df has a card and I have a card so we were able to use 40 today:-p

I even got coupons for EGGS!  We eat a TON of eggs, like 2-3 dozen per week between the 3 of us.

The coupons I have on my list to use still are:

ketchup
mustard
splenda
dales seasoning
eggs
cheerios
crest mouthwash
crest floss
crest toothpaste
colgate toothbrush
dog treats
taco seasoning
salsa
tortillas
more john frieda products
glad trash bags/
dawn dish soap
green giant frozen veggies
bandaids
charcoal
hormel pepperoni

some more I cant remember.....

I will spend about 15$ on all of the above(most of that will be the charcoal, that stuff is expensive and we grill a LOT)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)