Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i dont really know how to take this...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM
  • 17 Replies
Every friday the school has been sending home a bag of food with each of my school aged kids.. Do they think were poor? I asked my kids why and they were told that since we donate food at every food drive that the school does, they send the extras home with some of the kids. But that doesn't make sense. My kids are always well dressed and they know were military. My kids do have reduced lunch. They told me to fill out the form at the beginning of the year and I did and they were approved, but most kids are on free or reduced lunch at this school.. I don't know what to think. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2_3blessings
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:48 AM
you think phew i dont have to make them snack.....score...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bananahammock1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Lmao!! It is pretty cool.. They send snack packs, cereal, chef boyardee stuff.. I just wonder why. Lol

Quoting mom2_3blessings:

you think phew i dont have to make them snack.....score...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 12:52 AM

They sent home a form asking if we wanted those and hubby said to check no cause there are families with less. Did you get that form? They said it's to make sure that kids are still able to eat even when the school can't provide their meals.

bananahammock1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:00 AM
We haven't gotten any forms. I would have checked no. All of a sudden, my kids were coming home with a grocery bag full of food.

Quoting VintageWife:

They sent home a form asking if we wanted those and hubby said to check no cause there are families with less. Did you get that form? They said it's to make sure that kids are still able to eat even when the school can't provide their meals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kendrewana
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Strange. I would call and ask.

bananahammock1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:04 AM
I'm going to try and remember to call on Monday. They always bring them home on fridays and it slips my mind until the next friday lol

Quoting Kendrewana:

Strange. I would call and ask.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMJ1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Free food!  Cool!  :-)  If you don't need it, you can always pass it along! 

bananahammock1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:10 AM
I didn't think of that.. I could donate it! Good idea! Thanks! Lol

Quoting LMJ1:

Free food!  Cool!  :-)  If you don't need it, you can always pass it along! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4FAM67860509
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Yeah it has a name. It's because supposedly a lot of kids only get to eat at school so they do it to make sure they get to eat over the weekend.

It may be something they only do for reduced lunch kids because they're the ones whose family usually doesn't qualify for fs but need it the most kwim.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:15 AM

It's called the backpack program here,and yeah it's for the kids that may not have access to enough for on the weekends/school holidays.Maybe all kids that are in the free lunch program get it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)