Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why my kids will NEVER know from me the possibility of the world ending

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:52 AM
  • 25 Replies

I was born to a Greek Orthodox mother and a Church of God father...we hardly ever went to church... when I was 8 years old, I discovered the rock band KISS, I loved them and started collecting all their music and paraphernalia. When I was 10 my only friends on the block, we were the only girls on the block, their mother divorced her third husband and got religion. Suddenly, I was not allowed to play with them unless I went to church with them. If I missed a Sunday, I didnt get to play with them that week. The church was scary, people going to get healed, getting it in the head and falling over, the minister screaming about travelling down the corridors of hell, lots of talk about the world ending....the mother joined a small group of people that met in their homes for bible study This was in 1977, she was told that the world was going to end Oct 15, 1979, and she proceeded to tell me because I listened to satanic KISS, I would not be allowed to repent and that I was doomed to hell forever, no matter what. I could still play with her girls as long as I went to church. I was terrified. I didnt tell my parents because I didnt want them to know how horrible I was, that God didnt want me even if I said I was sorry for my sins. For the next few years, she made my life a living hell. In 1979, she sold her home and bought a mobile home on the advise of the bible study leader, to out run the AntiChrist. She started making her daughters help her can food for a year and never missed an opportunity to tell me how sorry she was that I had forsaken God at such a young age and I would be burning in hell forever. I started having nightmares and  horrible upset stomachs the closer the end moved near. Just as she was pulling her kids out of school, the 3 fathers she had with her 5 kids showed up, took her to court and took her kids away. She claimed this was Satan's last ditch attempt to make her abandon God, but she couldnt sacrifice her salvation for her children, they knew what to do to save their own souls, and that she had done what she was supposed to do as a mother to prepare them.

Oct 15 came and I stayed in my room all day long , sick, I couldnt tell my mother why... I threw up several times and begged God to please not send me to hell. I guess I must have cried myself to sleep at one point because I woke up on Oct 16...and nothing had changed...well nothing in the regular world had changed...no rapture, no fire and brimstone, nobody mysteriously gone...but I had changed. I was now a VERY ANGRY CHILD!!!

I was mad at the mother for religiously abusing me and my parents for not teaching me people like her exsisted. I was mad at her church for lying and I was really pissed at God for letting this happen to me. I  mean, I was a little kid when this started, isnt he supposed to help the little children? I refused to go to church, I did believe in God but didnt want anything to do with him... I became very cynical and very disrespectful of organized religion.

I vowed then that I would never tell my children of the possibility of the world ending. I never wanted to take their hope away...never wanted them to lie awake at night afraid of what MIGHT happen...my kids go to bed every night with the knowledge the sun WILL come up tomorrow, a fresh new day and a brand new start...

as for my friend's mom? she still lives in the mobile home, her kids all have nothing to do with her except the bare minimum, she now ruins every holiday for them by telling them that buying Christmas presents or trick or treating is buying into Satan's plan for domination, and she still says the World Is ENDING SOON, and she has wasted her life waiting for it

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:06 AM

this was really hard for me to post, btw, It brought up all the old feelings again

crazymom21
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:11 AM
That's so sad!!!! I hate hearing about people who do more harm than good in God's name! I'm sorry you went through that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momtogirls0823
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:11 AM

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that.  I agree with you.  I'm not making it a big deal to my kids, either.  I really don't believe in it anyway so no use in my telling them about it, ya know? 

mrsmac07
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM

wow.. im not sure what to say

kaylaird
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Hugs, Momma.

I don't blame you after having experienced that. I hate that this twisted woman mentally abused you guys and claimed it was from God... The God I know is loving and wonderful..

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:15 AM

thank you all. I wrote it all out and posted it, and I was fine, but then DH asked me to read it to him and I started bawling like a baby..I cant believe after so many years it still hurts

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:42 AM

bump

wicked_tink
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:46 AM

im sorry op you had to go through that.that pisses me off for real.no child should ever endure that.you have a support system here hun regardless of our differences,when it comes to stuff like this i give you props for tellin us ty ;)

wicked_tink
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:47 AM

BUMP!

LizzieJane
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:47 AM
That is so sad. I'm so sorry you went through that. It is wonderful that you're doing better for your children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)