Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should I get my coworker fired?***EDIT****

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM
  • 39 Replies

I have a friend/coworker who I love dearly but she drives me CRAZY!

We have a bare minimum sales quota we have to meet every month.  Its not a very high amount, most of the reps make the quota in the first two weeks, and our fiscal months are 4 or 5 weeks long(depends on the month). 

If you ONLY make the bare minimum sales quota, youre still looking at about 3500$ that month.  We are paid well.

Problem is, this coworker has not made her quota ONCE in the past 4 months, and will NOT take responsibility for it.Shes already on a probationary plan at work, and in danger of getting fired.  I think the only reason she hasnt been fired already is bc our boss feels sorry for her being a single mom.

She will slack off for the first few weeks, maybe make half her minimum quota, and then FREAKS OUT the last week bc shes not going to make it.  Then she stresses, freaks out, has panic attacks, etc. 

You have to expect to have one or two sales cancellations a month.  you may not always have that many (ive only had two in 4 months) but its good to plan for it, just in case so you still make your minimum.  She has about 1-2 a month, and every time she will FLIP, call me in a PANIC, curse about how the customer is an asshole for cancelling bc she has bills to pay.

She is overweight, has horrible asthma and wheezes all day, has NO idea what professional dress should look like-her standard hairstyle is "roll out of bed and scrape it back into a messy bun without even brushing it"-her words, not mine.  She either wears frumpy, ugly clothing or highly inappropriate, revealing clothing, and has a wide array of prostitute-esque shoes that never match her outfit. 

Ive tried to be nice and help her, suggest clothing styles that will flatter her, even had her come to my house so I could do her hair-she claimed to have just washed it, it was wet when she got here, but it was still greasy and had that "not washed in 2-3 days" smell. 

Customer wise, shes completely unprofessional, I rode along with her to a sales appt the other day and she couldnt remember her customers NAME.  and then when the customer didnt wind up signing with her(because he was busy moving into his new house, tired, and again shes pretty unprofessional), we got back in the car and she ranted and raved the whole way home about how he was such a waste of her time and he should have thought about being busy before he asled her to come out that day.

When I expressed my shock that she didnt even know her customers name, she said "unlike you I dont have time to get emotionally caught up in my customers, I have other thinsg to remember".  I was like "WHAT?".  We work in an industry that is completely centered around customers emotions!  People call us because they are scared, hurt, elderly, etc, and they expect us to help them absolve their worries, I'd say customers emotions are pretty damn important!  not to mention she has been with the company for over a year and doesnt know how to use half our computer systems.  I had to teach HER a bunch of things-and i learned from the companys computer training modules, which she can review at any time but chooses not to because "it takes too long".

To be honest I think she is not very good at her job, or at the very least needs some serious cust. service training, but I have no idea what to say to my boss, if anything. 

She's a single mom, she has one child, so I do feel sorry for her, but her life isnt nearly as hard as she makes it out to be.  She has basically no debt, gets grants to pay for her school, she even got 9k back in taxes this year and paid her rent for a year up front.

obviously it would still suck to lose her job, but shes not exactly in the throes of poverty.

I like her a lot, but im torn between caring about a friend and believing that the job we do requires a lot more than what she puts into it.  I quit working for an authorized dealer company because I have an actual conscience and to me a customer is more than just a number.  working for my current company has been a dream for me, I have a LOT of pride in the job I do, and I hate feeling my friend is giving us a bad name.

opinions?

**ETA**

I do not WANT to get her fired.  I was her friend BEFORE I joined the company, and I do care about her a lot and would hate to see her out of a job.  But I also hate hearing her complain all the time about how hard her job is, how this and that isnt fair, how its just so hard to be her life and I dont understand because I have DF-Every time she says that I remind her that before DF, I WAS a single mom, and I busted my ass to provide for my child, so I DO know exactly how hard it is.  She just ignores me.  I also have a LOT of pride in the service we provide for customers, and in the excellent feedback I get about my customer service, and sh treats customers like THEY owe HER something for her being there.

I havent said anything to my manager yet, but the day I did the ride-along with her, we got back to the office and our manager said something about wanting to talk to me when I had time, to give him some feedback about how it went.  Ive avoided it so far, but on monday hes going to ask me again, and I dont know how I should handle it.  I dont want t lie and say she did an awesome job, but I dont want to tell him "she forgot the guys name, dressed like a hooker, smelled like BO, and sucked on her inhaler constantly and told the guy he should turn his AC on while she was there".

by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaylaird
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:48 AM

If she is already on probation and is not doing her job already, I'd just wait until management decides she isn't doing her job and fires her on their own. Otherwise, it could come back to bite you in the rear. :(

CountryStrong84
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM

why would you feel the need to get anyone fired? If it happens then it happens. Just leave it alone.

calebmama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:51 AM

What do you guys do, if you dont mind my asking.

It sounds like she wants money, but does ot wanna work for it.

Astaroth
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:51 AM
Just wait until management takes care of it. It doesn't sound like it will take long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2xmama85
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:52 AM
That's a tough one, I honestly don't know what I would do. Have you tried giving her a bit of tough love? Maybe don't help her or give her any advice, let her see how hard it is, that way she will be more appreciative (sp) when she does get help or when she does have a good work week?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleu_Chanel
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Her lack of production will get her fired eventually.  Stay out of it.  You wanting to get her fired makes you a wolf in a friend suit.   

a_and_j_momma
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:53 AM
Stay out of it. You aren't her manager. If her manager decides she isn't good at her jjob (via customer complaints or sales records) then he/she will take action
mes_deux_amours
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:58 AM
Don't get her fired. She'll do that all on her own.
Kristanna
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:59 AM

I understand what you mean op...however...how can you be her 'friend' and want to get her fired?

It's one thing not to feel bad for a friend who is lazy as shit at their job and gets fired, it's another to actually want and root and try to help get your friend fired.

Quoting Bleu_Chanel:

Her lack of production will get her fired eventually.  Stay out of it.  You wanting to get her fired makes you a wolf in a friend suit.   

la_bella_vita
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Quoting Bleu_Chanel:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)