• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid?...

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:40 AM
  • 8 Replies

We recently completed a questionnaire about my 3 year old DD's skills for her physical... at the end it asked if we had any concerns about her development... I said absolutely not... because we think she is extremely smart for her age... but my dads partner said yes because she doesn't recognize simple words yet... I wasn't aware she needs to do this at three but then he proceeded to say I need to push her more because I don't want her to be stupid like me... He said this right in front of her... I was furious not because he said I was stupid( I know I am not) but that he did it in front of her... That was stupid to me... I never talk bad about any of our family in front of her no matter what my opinion is... But it still got me second guessing my parenting... She knows her abc's... Can count to 40... all her colors,shapes, animals... She follows directions very well... She knows a lot of words and what they mean... I think she is very smart... I want the best for her and I don't want to start pushing her harder yet because I want her to be a kid... What's your opinion?... How would you have handled the comment?... Am I right about her development or should she know more for three? Just what should she know at three...
Ayami_Mommy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
evelynolivesmom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Tell your dad's partner to mind his own business, you should know where your daughter is at developmentally. What does he mean by simple words?

StoneColdKiller
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Sounds like your DD is on target, I don't think most 3 year olds know words on site.

Also sounds like your a good mom.

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 21, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Your little girl is fine...She's ahead of the game..

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 3:00 AM

You are right. My daughter was way ahead of her preschool class for being able to spell and recognise her own name. At three they should just be starting to learn the alphabet. If she can recognise all of the letters in written form she is way ahead of the reading curve.

Hollyann126
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Your daughter is right on track.you don't need to worry you're doing a great job you are her mother and you know her best go by your instincts and don't listen to what others say.I would have told him that's not nice to say in front of my dd and if you want to voice your opinion in that way then make sure it is not in front of her,and if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all! My dd is the same age and can do pretty much the same things as yours but your dd is a little ahead of mine and yes i  have the same worries as you about my dd but all children learn different things at their own pace in their own way, be proud of her accomplishments and count your blessings that she is a smart, healthy child.I know i do everyday for my children.Just relax and  enjoy mommyhood, before you know it she'll be asking for the keys to the family car;Then you can worry! LOL.

angelenia
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 3:05 AM
if she knows all that then wtf was your dad's asshole partner referring to? What a prick. I am sorry mama. That would have really hurt my feelings. From what you have said, i don't think she is behind. And shame on your father for tolerating such a pointless and cruel comment about his own child without coming to your defense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AyamiLove
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:17 AM
I did tell him off but not in front of her... And I told him never to talk like that in front of her... its good to hear she is normal from other moms... as for the nasty woman I checked out her page an now I see why she would say something like that... one word... demented...
evelynolivesmom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:30 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about it, here you will get attacked for no reason and she can actually be pretty funny.

Quoting AyamiLove:

I did tell him off but not in front of her... And I told him never to talk like that in front of her... its good to hear she is normal from other moms... as for the nasty woman I checked out her page an now I see why she would say something like that... one word... demented...

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)